Battery Systems Engineer
About the role
In order to keep climate change to 1.5°C, we’ll need 30% of global GDP to run on batteries by 2035. We’ll need to electrify entire core infrastructures, decarbonizing transportation and energy generation writ large.
Zitara Technologies (YCombinator S20) builds battery design and battery management software for transportation and energy companies with large deployments. Their customers operate >$100M deployments of batteries in satellites, EVs, and renewable energy storage installations. Zitara recently closed a $12M Series A.
We are looking for experienced, generalist battery systems engineers to drive the successful integration of Zitara’s battery design and management software into customer applications.
At Zitara, battery systems engineers are our “power users”. They can leverage their battery industry expertise to develop technical solutions that maximize the value of Zitara software in customer batteries, and do so across a diverse set of energy storage applications. The role combines both internally- and externally-facing responsibilities, where you will drive technical decision-making on customer programs, and aid in overall product planning and development as a customer advocate and key subject-matter expert within Zitara.
The battery systems engineer, who will work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders with varying levels of subject-matter expertise, must have both robust technical skills and strong emotional intelligence. The ideal candidate will have direct technical experience with battery systems, such as battery hardware or software engineering, battery cell development, or battery-related technical project management.
Common battery systems engineering responsibilities at Zitara are given below. Specific responsibilities for individual engineers may be geared toward their particular technical strengths and battery systems experience.
- Drive the successful integration of Zitara software in customer battery systems:
- Design battery test and instrumentation strategies.
- Perform analyses on battery data collected in both the lab and field.
- Create battery system simulations using Zitara design tools.
- Integrate Zitara software into new compute platforms embedded within customer battery systems.
- Help customers optimize battery design choices.
- Guide and mentor customers as they adopt Zitara products, helping them maximize the value of Zitara software when integrated in their applications.
- Write externally-facing technical documentation, and provide direct technical support to customers when they encounter difficulty.
- Support Zitara non-battery-expert engineering staff in making technical product development and operational decisions requiring battery expertise.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of customer needs across the industry, and drive Zitara product development by identifying product gaps and advocating on behalf of our customers internally.
- Author technical materials for public consumption, such as white papers and blog entries, that demonstrate Zitara’s capabilities and technical leadership.
- Directly participate in Zitara’s product planning and development process.
- Bachelors' in technical subject or equivalent proficiency.
- Technical experience with lithium ion battery systems, such as:
- Battery hardware engineering.
- Battery software engineering.
- Battery test engineering.
- Battery algorithms design.
- Project management skills.
- Clear and effective communication abilities.
- Willingness to travel to meet customers in-person.
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Comfortable programming in Python and/or C.
- Practical experience in customer-facing roles.
What We Offer
- A full-time position, working three days per week from our office in San Francisco, CA, and up to two days per week remotely (optional).
- Competitive pay.
- Health, Dental, and Vision care for you and your family.
- A 401k savings plan.
- “Unlimited PTO” vacation policy.
- Excellent colleagues that are interested in your happiness and growth.
About Zitara Technologies, Inc.
In order to keep climate change to 1.5°C, we’ll need 30% of global GDP (all of energy generation and transportation) to run on batteries by 2035.
Zitara Technologies (YCombinator S20) builds predictive battery management software for transportation and energy customers with large deployments. Their customers operate >$100M deployments of batteries in satellites, EVs, and renewable energy storage installations.