Staff Reliability Engineer
With electric vehicles expected to be nearly 30% of new vehicle sales by 2025 and more than 50% by 2040, electric mobility is becoming a reality. ChargePoint (NYSE: CHPT) is at the center of this revolution, powering one of the world’s leading EV charging networks and a comprehensive set of hardware, software and mobile solutions for every charging need across North America and Europe. We bring together drivers, businesses, automakers, policymakers, utilities and other stakeholders to make e-mobility a global reality.
Since our founding in 2007, ChargePoint has focused solely on making the transition to electric easy for businesses, fleets and drivers. ChargePoint offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create an all-electric future and a trillion-dollar market.
At ChargePoint, we foster a positive and productive work environment by committing to live our values of Be Courageous, Charge Together, Love our Customers, Operate with Openness, and Relentlessly Pursue Awesome. These values guide how we show up every day, align, and work together to build a brighter future for all of us.
Join the team that is building the EV charging industry and make your mark on how people and goods will get everywhere they need to go, in any context, for generations to come.
Discover what it’s like to help build the fueling network of the future - check out our Engineering Blog.
Manager, Reliability Engineering
What You Will Be Doing
ChargePoint is looking for a creative and versatile hardware Staff Reliability Engineer to help ensure that our EV charging stations meet all internal and external performance and reliability requirements. In this role, you will lead end-to-end practices from design for reliability (DFR) through ensuring reliability during sustaining phases on select products. With a can-do attitude, collaborating with our cross functional team (test, failure analysis, software, data analytics) brings ambitious opportunities to pioneer high charging reliability that is critically needed for the growing EV market. A combination of strong theoretical and hands-on skills will help your ability to thrive as a project lead in our rapidly evolving company and market space.
What You Will Bring to ChargePoint
- Define and publish product reliability requirements, setting targets, developing test specifications, and completing reliability allocation.
- Drive design for reliability (DFR) by leading FMEAs, influencing material selection and operating conditions, running DOEs, and performing reliability predictions.
- Design innovative reliability test plans that drive relevant failure mechanisms and build confidence with limited datasets.
- Invent and qualify accelerated test specifications for new use cases or to reproduce field failures. Drive test setups (internally and externally) as needed.
- Oversee reliability testing and report on results through the product lifecycle. Perform statistical risk assessments as needed to project field failure rates.
- Identify and analyze parametric data during life testing to capture degradation trends that enable prognostics for predictive maintenance.
- Model product useful life through reliability predictions and life test results. Provide input to finance for projecting AFR needed for warranty cost analysis.
- Drive failure analysis on test failures to capture physics of failure for acceleration modeling. Achieve root cause mitigation for all open issues.
- Assess risk of design, manufacturing, and material changes during production, testing as needed to qualify releases.
- Review partner and supplier test results, set reliability requirements for new supplier selection and prescribe test plans (incl. ORT) as needed.
- Mentor teammates on advanced risk assessment, DFR and test practices.
- BS in Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or comparable field. MS or PhD preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience in reliability engineering, preferably in both mechanical and electrical systems.
- Experience designing accelerated mechanical, operational, environmental stress tests.
- Expertise knowledge of physics of failure mechanisms.
- Working knowledge of failure analysis techniques (SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDX, FTIR, optical microscopy, etc.).
- Successful track record devising acceleration factor calculation methods, performing test-to-field correlations.
- Experience applying statistical analysis tools (ReliaSoft suite, JMP or Matlab) to perform field risk assessments.
- Strong skillset in organizing and analyzing large datasets to maintain results record, study trends, and complete relevant data comparisons.
- Experience leading DOE and FMEA to drive test definition / planning.
- Success leading multiple priorities in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Clear communication skills including ability to report concise, relevant results and present up to executive management as needed.
- Experience in reliability of power electronics and/or low voltage PCBAs.
- Experience testing high voltage products (240-480VAC and 500-1000VDC).
- Knowledge of EV charging and/or current consumer / industrial product standards (ASTM, MIL, JEDEC, IEC, UL).
San Jose, CA
ChargePoint is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The targeted US salary range for roles at this operating level is $85,000 to $182,250. This range represents base salary and does not reflect equity, benefits or variable pay where applicable. Actual base salaries are based on several factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, certifications and specific work location.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse team. ChargePoint is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
If there is a match between your experiences/skills and the Company needs, we will contact you directly.
ChargePoint is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants only - Recruiting agencies do not contact.