Senior Accountant / Accounting Manager
Sparkfund is hiring a Senior Accountant to join our Finance team. Reporting to the Controller, this person will be responsible for the treasury operations of our energy infrastructure portfolio, fund accounting for our project operating companies, servicing of our lending facilities, operational accounting for our construction management business, and various other reporting and analytical functions to support our rapidly growing business.
This position can be based remotely anywhere within the continental US, but preference will be given to applicants based in the Washington, DC metro area.
- Execute core servicing duties for energy infrastructure subscription portfolio, including collection and reconciliation of customer payments, deployment of project investments, scheduling of recurring maintenance fees, remittance of sales and property taxes, and customer invoicing
- Prepare monthly GAAP financial statements and related supporting schedules for several project-owning fund entities, and provide timely analysis of recent performance and trends
- Serve as primary contact for third party portfolio servicing company, including daily reconciliation of customer payments, booking of new projects, and management of project tax obligations
- Manage milestone invoicing and revenue recognition for construction projects across multiple technologies and contract structures
- Support accounts payable function through vendor management and invoice processing, as well as corporate credit card reporting for non-payroll operating expenses
- Facilitate annual financial statement audit and periodic lender compliance audits through preparation of various schedules and reports
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to the Asset Management team regarding customer payment issues, and manage initial communications with delinquent customers
- Compile treasury and financial reporting packages for inclusion in Executive and Board materials, and assist the FP&A function with variance analysis, portfolio trends, projections, and budget recommendations
- Research accounting guidance, business registration requirements, and various ad hoc tax and insurance matters
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- 5-7 years of relevant accounting and financial reporting experience in the financial services industry (public accounting audit/assurance experience strongly preferred)
- Active CPA license and intent to maintain the certification
- Working knowledge of US GAAP and financial reporting requirements, including ability to apply relevant principles to Company transactions and willingness to research technical topics
- High level understanding of inherent financial reporting risks and the related internal controls
- Ruthless attention to detail and commitment to the highest standard of reporting accuracy
- High degree of initiative and independence, with an eagerness to recommend and implement constant process improvement
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, while maintaining flexibility for ad hoc, high priority deliverables
- Commitment to understanding how recurring tasks impact the broader picture of the Finance team’s goals and the Company’s commercial strategy
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Experience at a Big 4 or other national public accounting firm
- Experience with NetSuite
- Competitive compensation and stock option plans - we believe in shared ownership.
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance; pre-tax commuter benefits; disability and life insurance.
- Flexible vacation policy that encourages ~4 weeks of paid time off.
- We honor all of the federal holiday, and believe in a long weekend. Sparkfund is closed every Friday before a Monday holiday as well.
- 8 weeks gender-neutral paid leave for caregivers when they have a new addition to their families and an additional 4 weeks of paid leave for birthing parents.
- A one-time, work-from-home stipend to help cover any equipment, hardware, etc. you need to set up your remote office.