Manager, Accounts Payable
Who We Are
Founded in 2017, SmartRent, Inc. (NYSE: SMRT) is the leading provider of smart home and property operations solutions for the rental housing industry.
We’re doing big things in the proptech world! SmartRent has been recognized as a winner of HousingWire’s Tech100 Real Estate awards in 2021, 2022, and 2023 for the most innovative tech company serving the mortgage and real estate industries; named on Deloitte’s 2023 Technology Fast 500™ list of fastest-growing companies; and our CEO, Lucas Haldeman, was recognized as an EY Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2023 —and we’re just getting started.
As the Manager, Accounts Payable you will be responsible for leading and managing all aspects of our accounts payable (AP) function at SmartRent. This role is an integral part of the accounting team and emphasis will be placed on developing and maintaining best practices within our procure-to-pay (P2P) process. You’ll work with accounting and finance leadership to provide invoice workflow oversight, and manage check runs, company credit card reconciliations, and expense reporting. You’ll work directly with internal and external auditors to assist with SmartRent’s Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance. You’ll also manage new vendor setup, vendor master file updates, ensure timely payments of vendors, and partner with all departments across the organization to ensure vendor relationships are maintained. You will also work closely with the General Ledger accounting team to ensure accruals are captured completely and accurately within SmartRent’s financial statements. You will oversee a small team of AP Specialists and report directly to our Vice President, Corporate Controller. Lastly, SmartRent is a high-growth company so you will be tasked with continuing to scale our AP function in a quickly changing environment.
- Manage day-to-day accounts payable functions including; invoice workflow oversight, performing pre-close activities to ensure invoice and purchase order processing and approval queues are optimized for month end reporting, reviewing the AP aging, weekly check run preparation, company credit card reconciliations, expense reporting, etc.
- Responsible for designing, implementing, and enforcing policies and standard operating procedures to streamline and scale effective accounts payable processes.
- Ensure the integrity of expense reports compared to company policies, and assist the General Ledger team with preparing respective journal entries, reconciliations, and other analysis.
- Ensure the onboarding and setup of new vendors is managed in a secure fashion.
- Manage the timing of payments to vendors based on vendor specific information.
- Work directly with vendors in collaboration with other departments to maintain the Company’s good standing.
- Obtain appropriate approval for all invoices ensuring invoices are accurately captured within the Company’s ERP.
- Respond to all inquiries related to accounts payable, both from internal and external parties.
- Document all standard operating procedures in accordance with appropriate payment security measures and internal controls to meet SOX compliance.
- Prepare documentation for external auditors to help facilitate quarterly reviews and the annual audit.
- Train, coach and mentor direct reports. Define objectives, provide clear direction, and be responsible for their quality of work, performance reviews, and career development.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance and/or 7+ years of relevant accounts payable (AP) experience with at least 3+ years being in a management role with direct reports.
- Experience working for a publicly traded company.
- Experience with Concur, Navan, Trip Actions, or other expense platforms.
- Proficient in Excel and ability to adopt new technologies in a fast-paced environment.
- High attention to detail, analytical and organized with an ability to work well under pressure and within strict deadlines.
- Possess passion, energy, and enthusiasm to drive results forward, action oriented.
- Strong problem-solving skills, passion for continuous process improvements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capability to build and maintain positive relationships with colleagues while creating a culture of diversity, inclusivity, collaboration and teamwork.
- Ability to work in our Scottsdale office 4 days a week.
- Experience working for a SaaS (Software as a Service) company.
- Knowledge and experience with NetSuite.
- Knowledge and experience with Salesforce.
- Experience with Google Workspace.
We offer 100% employer-paid medical coverage, flexible PTO (because we know how important work-life balance is), and competitive 401k and employee stock purchase plans to invest in your future. You’ll fit right in if you’re:
- Do the hard work and go out of your way to deliver excellence
- Own outcomes and learn from your mistakes
- Are a collaborative and supportive team player; win or lose you lift others up
- Value authenticity, other’s perspectives, and diversity in the workplace
- Have a passion for smart tech and the real estate industry