At Smallhold, we’re building the resilient farming infrastructure of the future. From advanced distribution and farming hubs to modular, high-output technology-enabled Minifarms, we’re bringing the farm to the people, supplying the freshest organic produce to entire cities on a block-by-block basis.
Since 2017, Smallhold has established itself as the leader in US specialty mushroom production with our products found in top retailers like Whole Foods and Central Market and some of the nation’s most exciting restaurant kitchens, such as Maison Yaki, the Standard Hotels, and Bunker Vietnamese.
Our mushrooms, farms, and team (including an amazing cohort of farmers) have been featured in publications like The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Gizmodo, Bon Appétit, Martha Stewart -- to name a few.
What’s next for Smallhold? Our network is growing, and with it we’re rapidly expanding our infrastructure, building farms in new markets and bringing specialty mushrooms to more people than ever before. We have big plans for this year and need people like you to help us spread our roots across the country!
As the Operations Manager at our Texas farm, you will oversee day-to-day activities at our expanding facility in Buda, Texas. In this role, you will be responsible for preparing and maintaining budgets, leading cost-reduction initiatives and instilling a culture of continuous improvement.
This is a high-pressure and fast-paced position that requires strong leadership and management capabilities in addition to a hands-on, execution-oriented approach. This position will report to the General Manager of our Buda, Texas farm.
- Oversee day-to-day operations at Smallhold’s Texas facility including supervision of all cultivation, production, facilities maintenance, shipping and receiving activities.
- Manage, maintain and take direct responsibility for facility budget and P&L. Lead cost-reduction initiatives and instill a culture of continuous improvement.
- Report on production KPIs on a weekly basis and work with HQ to set and meet targets.
- Champion and ensure compliance with Smallhold’s food safety and quality assurance programs.
- Work closely with the Expansion Team to ensure the successful buildout and launch of expanded facilities.
- Shape and execute on an adaptive hiring plan. Anticipate and head off labor shortages.
- Develop, supervise and mentor a team of Supervisors.
- Ensure worker safety and OSHA compliance. Foster an employee- and safety- first environment.
- Work closely with the Operations and Sales Teams to plan production and delivery schedules.
- Guarantee accurate and consistent inventory tracking, data tracking and record keeping.
- Foster a positive and collaborative environment. The ideal candidate is ready and willing to jump in on the line and troubleshoot alongside their employees when needed.
- 3+ years of management experience in facility operations or manufacturing, ideally in food.
- Strong leadership and mentorship skills. Experience coaching and motivating a large team in a high-pressure environment, previous start-up leadership experience is a plus.
- Prior experience leading cost-reduction and continuous improvement initiatives with success.
- Entrepreneurial, analytical and solutions-oriented mindset with a hands-on approach.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with worker safety and food safety regulations, history of prioritizing safety above all else.
- Experience and comfort working with ERP, inventory management and/or point of sale systems.
- Experience with previous buildouts and/or facility maintenance. Familiarity and comfort with complicated electrical and HVAC systems is a huge plus.
- Knowledge and experience operating and maintaining production equipment.
- Experience with creating, maintaining and holding people accountable to budgets.
- Experience with complex supply chain and production planning in the midst of rapid growth.
- Produce, dairy or other highly perishable cold-chain experience highly desirable.
- Bilingual Spanish is highly preferred.
- Annual based compensation: $70K
- Medical Dental and Vision Coverage
- PTO and Paid Holiday Programs
- Equity Participation
- 401 (k) Plan
- Mushrooms Always!
Smallhold celebrates difference and diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (EEO). We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging and respect. If there is anything we can do to ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.