At Smallhold, we’re building the resilient farming infrastructure of the future. From advanced distribution and farming hubs to modular, high-output technology-enabled Minifarms, we’re bringing the farm to the people, supplying the freshest organic produce to entire cities on a block-by-block basis.
Since 2017, Smallhold has established itself as the leader in US specialty mushroom production with our products found in top retailers like Whole Foods and Central Market and some of the nation’s most exciting restaurant kitchens, such as Maison Yaki, the Standard Hotels, and Bunker Vietnamese.
Our mushrooms, farms, and team (including an amazing cohort of farmers) have been featured in publications like The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Gizmodo, Bon Appetit, Martha Stewart -- to name a few.
What’s next for Smallhold? Our network is growing and with it we’re rapidly expanding our infrastructure, building farms in new markets and bringing specialty mushrooms to more people than ever before. We have big plans for this year and need people like you to help us spread our roots across the country!
As the Production Manager at our expanding farm in Vernon, CA, you will lead our Production Team as we ramp up and optimize our facility. You will be primarily responsible for hitting mushroom production goals and ensuring all pack outs are completed quickly, efficiently and up to Smallhold’s quality standards. You will create and oversee production schedules and ensure that shipments are out the door, in full and on time. Training and leading a growing team of staff will be an essential aspect of these purviews. This position reports to the General Manager.
This is a high-pressure and fast-paced position that requires strong leadership capabilities in addition to a hands-on, execution-oriented approach.
- Lead, energize and support the team to pack and fulfill the farm’s weekly orders.
- Be a production expert in handling the care and curation of mushrooms.
- Ensure success of production capacity ramp-ups in preparation for new customers.
- Ensure compliance with Smallhold’s food safety, organic, and work safety programs.
- Maintain and monitor accurate Sales Orders and invoicing in accordance with customer’s requirements and receiving protocols alongside the Sales Team.
- Develop and maintain daily, weekly and monthly production and staffing schedules in partnership with other Managers and the General Manager.
- Work with the QA team to develop and institute best practices to reduce shrink and build efficiencies across the farm.
- Integrate dehydration into daily operations to salvage surplus and minimize waste.
- Monitor fresh mushroom inventory and ensure FIFO protocols are followed.
- Guarantee accurate and consistent ERP data-entry, inventory management and record-keeping.
- Ensure packaging inventory and other materials are adequately prepared and maintained.
- Champion all Smallhold policies and address any workplace issues fairly and decisively.
- Manage staffing, scheduling and timecard approvals for team members.
- Propose and execute on strategies for process improvement, growth and capacity expansion with support from the General Manager and HQ.
- Foster a positive and collaborative environment. Be ready and willing to jump in on the line and troubleshoot alongside employees when needed.
- 3-5 years of management experience in production or manufacturing, ideally in food.
- At least 2 years of management experience in a leadership capacity with strong team-building and coaching skills.
- Experience managing a large team in a high-pressure environment is strongly preferred.
- Strong team building, leadership and management skills.
- Production mindset: capable of processing large volumes of produce with quality and efficiency, while prioritizing aesthetics and accuracy.
- Knowledge of and experience with food safety regulations. Experience with SQF is a plus.
- Experience creating, leading or adhering to quality assurance programs.
- Experience with SOP creation and implementation.
- Experience with inventory management systems, warehouse management systems, RF Smart and ERPs.
- Experience with inventory tracking, FIFO protocol, and understanding of perishable products
- Positive attitude and get-it-done mentality
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- PTO and Paid Holidays
- Equity Participation
- 401 (k) Plan
- Mushrooms Always!
- Estimated salary $75,000 - $85,000 annually
Smallhold celebrates difference and diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (EEO). We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging and respect. If there is anything we can do to ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.