System Development Engineer, Data Management
The Quick Action Service team sifts through petabytes of data per week to extract top-line business metrics around customer experience, operational excellence, and incident response. If you have a passion for building multiple clusters at scale using cutting edge infrastructure tooling, and monitoring those clusters rigorously and proactively, you should be interested in joining our team!
Ring Data Management is seeking a self-directed System Development Engineer to develop and operate our AWS cloud data processing systems. As a member of our team and the Data Management group, you will build best of class log analytic tools meant to enable critical business operations at Ring for a variety of business units.
Key job responsibilities
- Lead projects and work with service teams to optimize data infrastructure and pipelines.
- Build CI/CD and automation solutions using AWS tools and services.
- Build, test, and manage infrastructure with various IaC tools such as Terraform and CDK.
- Work with engineering and business stakeholders to understand requirements.
- Explore ways to implement high volume data clusters in a cost efficient fashion.
- Evaluate and implement efficient distributed storage and query techniques.
- Collaborate with internal teams to integrate services and APIs.
- Maintain secure infrastructure.
A day in the life
- Build automation solutions with CDK, Terraform, Ansible and other tooling.
- Participate in Operation Excellence reviews to spot negative trends before they become production issues.
- Help key stakeholders in a variety of security and application groups across Ring with data ingestion and analytic projects.
About the team
You will be joining a veteran team with several members who have 4+ years experience at Ring and Amazon. Ring doorbells and security products are part of neighborhoods across the country, so you can take pride in supporting a tangible product that helps our Neighbors be safe.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Hawthorne, CA, USA
- 3+ years of designing or architecting (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- 5+ years of administrative experience in networking, storage systems, operating systems and hands-on systems engineering experience
- Knowledge of systems engineering fundamentals (networking, storage, operating systems)
- 3+ years of implementing and supporting AWS resources including but not limited to EC2 AutoScalingGroups, Route53, ALB, SQS, SNS, and DynamoDB.
- 3+ years of experience with a modern scripting language such as Python, TypeScript, or Ruby.
- 3+ years of experience with some Infrastructure as Code system such as Terraform, CloudFormation, CDK, or Pulumi.
- Experience working in an Agile environment using the Scrum methodology
- Experience with Python AWS automation - boto3, CDK, REST interface, Flask; or other relevant experience (e.g. TypeScript with CDK)
- Experience with log analytics tools, especially Splunk
- Experience with modern CI / CD systems, particularly the AWS Code suite of tools
- Experience with managing Kubernetes clusters, particularly based on EKS
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $103,400/year in our lowest geographic market up to $201,200/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.