HW Design Engineer, Optics, Image Quality
As an Optical Design Engineer at Amazon Ring, you will be an integral part of the Ring device engineering team, contributing to the product creation process. In this role, you will work to develop optics for camera products, including optical measurements, optical designs for products, and including research to find the best technologies, close work with the manufacturing teams as well as building prototypes for proof-of-concept designs. This role goes beyond conventional optics design – you will delve into the product use cases, innovate the best performing solutions, and validate the technologies. In this dynamic position, you'll have the unique opportunity to work with various types of cameras and camera peripherals, as well as further develop capabilities of our camera laboratories.
Key job responsibilities
- Propose the technologies, designs and components to improve end-user value, including work on optical labs to evaluate new components and technologies (lens, ICR, sensor, LEDs, ALS).
- Develop design and analysis of imaging (i.e., camera or projection) and non-imaging (i.e., illumination) components and systems.
- Use software tools (Zemax, LightTools, etc.) to model optical systems, evaluate performance characteristics, and perform tolerance analyses for prototype and mass production scales.
- Work with a component engineering team and product engineering team to provide rapid prototyping and characterization of optical systems.
- Work with cross-functional teams to draft component specification, design reviews, work with vendors to manufacture parts and validate results by specifying test parameters and methodologies.
- Develop the measurement methods, automation and capabilities of the camera laboratories.
- Hands on to find root causes, and develop solutions for issues.
About the team
Join the dynamic team at Amazon Ring, where passionate professionals are at the forefront of developing innovative Ring products. With over 50 device models sold globally, Ring is the leader in the smart home security space, offering an extensive range of products including video doorbells, indoor and outdoor security cameras, and dashboard cameras.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
- Bachelor's degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Experience as an optical engineer working on display, camera/imaging, or projection systems.
- Experience in optical simulation, metrology, and testing to verify component, assembly and system level performance.
- Strong fundamental optical engineering knowledge base in areas including lens design, aberration theory, image quality, MTF/PSF, etc., and experience with tolerance analysis.
- Familiarity with non-imaging aspects such as haze and stray light mitigation.
- Experienced in at least one of the following modelling software packages: LightTools, Zemax, CODE V, FRED, TracePro.
- Hands-on experience with optics component characterization and product integration.
- Master's or Doctoral degree in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Experience in Python programming.
- Proficiency in CAD tools, like Fusion, SolidWorks.
- Experience with design and development of optical systems requiring a combination of visible and NIR illuminations, imaging, stray light mitigation, and photometry.
- Experience working with international, cross-functional teams.
- Experience in mass production of optical devices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skill.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.