Android Software Development Engineer, Ring
The Ring team is looking for a passionate and talented Android Software Development Engineer who has experience building world-class mobile apps. You will be responsible for developing mobile applications that interact seamlessly with our devices and delight our customers.
You will join a team that owns some of the most visited and core experiences in the Ring app revolving around summary, highlights and discovery of all the activity across the user’s various Ring devices. With a huge audience and an exciting roadmap, this is a rare opportunity to shape the security experience for millions of users.
Our goal is to provide the best possible experience to our customers, building solutions and supporting new products that help Ring on their mission to make neighbourhoods safer.
Key job responsibilities
* Design, develop and maintain our Android mobile applications
* Work with team members to investigate design approaches, prototype technology and evaluate technical feasibility
* Lead architecture and design of features, from conception to launch
* Help to improve engineering processes and tools to increase team effectiveness
* Be part of an agile development process to deliver high-quality software
A day in the life
This role provides a unique opportunity to be a key part in shaping the core of Ring's offerings to our customers. You will work across teams to prototype ideas and solve complex problems, and raise the bar of our applications by advocating and driving software best practices, automating tasks and identifying pitfalls. As part of the team, you will continue to learn and become an expert in challenging fields. You will have the opportunity to contribute your creative ideas and energy, working with world-class experts, distributed cloud systems and home security devices.
About the team
Working on exciting new features and fully owning some of the most visited and core experiences in the Ring app, our team is always looking to learn and innovate. We frequently collaborate with cloud, firmware and other mobile teams to solve problems, come up with solutions and delight our customers. We are data driven, value and promote ownership, working backwards from our customers to bring them an innovative and seamless home security experience.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
- Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience in professional, non-internship software development
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Experience programming with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Android mobile application development experience in Java and Kotlin
- Experience communicating technical problems to both technical and business audiences verbally and in writing
- Master's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Deep understanding of agile principles and exposure to various process implementations
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
- Experience with Reactive programming frameworks
- Experience optimising apps for performance
- Experience writing testable code and automated tests
- Experience with deployments to the Play Store
- Experience with REST architecture for web services
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for full software development lifecycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT - 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).