Software Development Manager III, Ring
Ring is hiring a Software Development Manager (SDM) to work on Ring's critical user notification systems.
To fulfill Ring's mission to help neighbors protect what matters most at home, timely and accurate notifications are critical. These systems processes billions of events per day and triggers appropriate notifications for our neighbors around the world.
The team's challenges are around latency optimization at a global scale, critical process resilience, observability, and user personalization. The team partners with the application, computer vision, video streaming and event bus teams to build user-facing features.
As a people leader, you will lead and expand the team, manage performance, and shepherd the careers of your direct reports. Your excellent communication and technical skills will be used to sharpen technical solutions, establish clear priorities, and drive high quality work.
Key job responsibilities
- Drive the technical direction and architecture of large, complex software system
- Work closely with a diverse group of stakeholders including Product Manager, Data Engineers, Operations, internal technical teams and leadership to define business opportunities and then drive end-to-end solutions and product roadmap.
- Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership throughout product life cycles, influence software engineers best practices for your team and own operational excellence of large scale production services
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Toronto, ON, CAN
- 3+ years of engineering team management experience
- 7+ years of working directly within engineering teams experience
- 3+ years of designing or architecting (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- 7+ years of leading the definition and development of multi tier web services experience
- Knowledge of engineering practices and patterns for the full software/hardware/networks development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, certification, and livesite operations
- Experience partnering with product or program management teams
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior leadership to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience in recruiting, hiring, mentoring/coaching and managing teams of Software Engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.