Lead Systems Engineer, Blink Systems Engineering Team
Amazon is searching for an experienced Systems Engineer who has strong hardware and firmware development experience, robust writing skills and deep investigative skills to provide integration and development oversight between hardware and firmware development for our Blink line of cameras, doorbells and other products. This role will present two main areas of focus, working along side a small BSP team in a leadership role and reviewing bigger picture strategy of hardware and firmware development to identify issues or large impacts of small changes. Extensive experience in embedded IoT device and embedded Linux device system design will be the foundation of being successful in this role.
A critical piece of this role will be documenting investigations and reporting status to leadership that will help them understand the complexity and impact of issues that are affecting performance and development timelines. Outlining and performing investigations to dive deep into problems to propose solutions in both hardware and firmware development will be a main focus of this role. Using and directing the development and QA resources available as well as establishing strong communications with the hardware, firmware and ASIC groups. Understanding the importance of decision making, being right, return of investment and context shifting are all important skills that will promote success in this role.
Key job responsibilities
- Work with a TPM to help direct and manage the day-to-day work of the Blink Hardware BSP team
- Communicate and work with ASIC team to understand operational details of Blink custom ASIC as support is driven into development
- Communicate and work with the hardware development team to compile a list of bring-up tasks, proof of functionality, testing scenarios to drive into BSP team
- Define and guide testing strategies into QA for validation of issues and solutions
- Be a global voice of systems engineering inside the Blink organization. During architectural and system design phases, provide guidance on coordinated efforts to help achieve system level success
- Define testing strategies and document results
- Provide information and guidance to leadership to help drive decisions on engineering changes or timeline decisions
- Create models for performance and and battery usage
- Work with manufacturing test team to help define testing strategies
A day in the life
A day in the life brings organizing work in our Atlassian tools, along side a TPM, to drive work into our HW BSP team. You will attend development and stakeholder meetings to disseminate information and help make decisions to drive direction. Working on documentation for investigations and test/model creation as well has reviewing schematics and systems designs. You will be hands on with all stages of hardware during development working on bring up and using bench equipment to test and investigate hardware.
About the team
You will be part of the Ring Solutions Systems team, which is a larger systems team focused in Ring Alarm, Smart Lighting and Blink devices. The team works in a Kaban style Agile development and very closely with HW. Your team will be specifically focused on Blink development but have counterparts on the Ring side for consultation and guidance.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
North Reading, MA, USA
- 5+ years of EE design
- 2+ years of C programing experience
- 2+ years of programming with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby experience
- Knowledge of engineering practices and patterns for the full software/hardware/networks development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, certification, and livesite operations
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
- Experience building tools for building, testing, releasing or monitoring
- 2+ years of designing or architecting (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- 2+ years working with wireless technologies, Wi-Fi/BT, Sub-gig
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.