Head of Operations
Aeris Technologies Inc, a subsidiary of Project Canary, PBC, designs, manufactures, and commercializes the next-generation of laser-based gas analyzers used in a variety of applications such as quantifying greenhouse gas emissions, atmospheric pollutants, and natural gas leaks.
Project Canary is the leading provider of on-demand climate insights for emission-intensive companies. Our company provides operational insights, emissions data, and Verified Climate Attributes™ to decarbonize energy systems by integrating sensor data with real-time portal and in-depth data analytics. We are the leaders of independently verified climate credentials that support investment, safety, reporting, and disclosure actions.
Initially, we are focused on the energy industry. With thousands of energy assets analyzed and hundreds of environmental and air quality sensors currently deployed, Project Canary is positioned better than anyone to provide empirical emissions data—and we have the ARR and growing pains to prove it.
Founded in 2019, Project Canary, PBC has quickly gained recognition as a category leader in the continuous monitoring space. Through a mission driven approach Project Canary uses dynamic means for cross team collaboration to achieve our very best for our planet and people alike. Here are some highlights from last year:
- Fundraise totaling $121M
- Series A of $10M in 2021
- Series B of $111M in 2022
- Certified as a B-Corporation with a score of 107.6 & ranked in the top 5% in 2 categories
- 2022 Best Company to Work For by both the Denver Business Journal and the Denver Post
- Headcount growth by 3X in 2022 and growing
Project Canary’s & Aeris Technologies’ success is attributed to the motivation, skill, and teamwork of everyone. The team understands the importance of maintaining a culture where relationships are valued, feedback is crucial, and trust in each other and our products/services is paramount. If you enjoy a growth-stage environment, mission-driven work and are eager to collaborate, we want to hear from you.
The Head of Operations will be a key member of the Senior Management Team at Project Canary and is expected to lead all aspects of the hardware delivery ramp into and through our next critical growth stage with two key focus areas being selection and development of the right strategic contract manufacturing partner for supply of hardware underpinning our SaaS business model, and scaling delivery of our Aeris sensors. Reporting to the President of Canary Sensors, the Head of Operations will drive the scaling of all of Project Canary’s hardware delivery capabilities, ensure the optimization of ongoing NPI activities and lead the supply chain culture to achieve production goals, product excellence, and product launch. The individual will lead the execution of the Company’s hardware production strategies including external supplier development and enablement of internal product manufacturing and delivery.
The Head of Operations will maintain control of various business operations of the division including strategic supplier partnerships, SIOP process, MRP leverage, supply continuity and inventory control while enabling timely hardware availability. Additionally, the Head of Operations will work with the President of Canary Sensors on all actions of the Finance, and People & Culture teams in terms of all supply-related financial performance, budgeting, organizational growth, employee performance and regulatory compliance. Given the scope of the role the incumbent will require exemplary leadership, communication and decision-making skills; the ability to absorb and understand complex and varied metrics and reports; plus, the talent and confidence to select the next most important area to focus their individual as well as company efforts.
- In partnership with Project Canary leadership, establish strategic direction and set goals for the operations of the supply organization, including inventory goals, revenue enablement, customer satisfaction, cost, quality, delivery and rapid scaling and growth management.
- Lead the efforts to implement the vision for employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met.
- Assist the Project Canary executive team in any way necessary to ensure that necessary funding for intended divisional growth is secured when needed.
- Enable execution of the divisional long-term strategies and annual and quarterly production plans.
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key suppliers, partners, and stakeholders.
- Through other key leaders reporting to the Head of Operations:
- Manage the performance of all supply-related functions, including on-time delivery, supplier quality, supply/commodity management, demand fulfillment and global logistics.
- Provide leadership to the supply teams and ensure that hardware availability targets in terms of revenue, units and margin are met.
- Enable and monitor execution of product development plans via timely materials supply as necessary to support the business strategy.
- Ensure compliance with both domestic and international standards required to ship the Company’s products into and out of target markets.
- Ensure proper financial and accounting controls are in place and executed.
- Provide clear direction to the financial team in the routine and accurate accounting of inventory required for internal and external financial reporting.
- Guide the companywide materials inventory budgeting process and make the hard decisions necessary to ensure expenses are constrained in line with the business goals.
- Support the President to aggressively manage capital investment and expenses to ensure the company achieves investor targets relative to growth and profitability.
- Build the highest performing employee team at all levels. Maintain forward leaning human resource practices.
- At least 10 years of experience as Head of Operations of a $50+mm highly engineered product manufacturing company or Division head within a large enterprise known for its operational rigor and supply chain excellence.
- A total of 15+ years of experience at the senior director level or higher in large and small product companies, supporting the launch of products from prototype to mass production using contract manufacturing.
- Demonstrated success in a high growth environment managing business and technical teams.
- Engineering degree with MBA preferred. Directly applicable business experience may be substituted.
- Outstanding analytical skills and judgment. Can gather information, develop models, weigh relevant factors and make decisions based on data, trends, and past experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills. Asks for and offers help when needed; a committed team player.
- Balanced personality; serious approach to the job, coupled with an understanding of the importance of humor, morale and inclusiveness in the workplace.
- Superb juggler of tasks and leader of people. Able to manage tasks, details, and lead people without dropping the ball; eager to roll up his/her sleeves and delve into rapidly-changing details in a growing company.
- Salary Range: $175,000 - $235,000
- Travel to Denver HQ and Hardware office a minimum of 12 days per quarter
- Health, dental, and vision insurance with low deductibles and premiums paid by company 99% for self and 50% for dependents and/or spouse
- 401K with company match (no vesting period)
- Opportunity for equity ownership
- Student loan assistance
- Unlimited PTO (minimum rule of taking at least 3 weeks off in a year)
- Company sponsored wellness days (ski/snowboard days and more)
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave (gender neutral) including adoptions
- Flex Choice Monthly Stipend – choice between parking, public transportation, or wellness assistance