FEA Simulation Engineer
Richmond, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2023
Moxion is a vertically integrated manufacturer of all-electric mobile power and energy storage solutions. We have developed commercial-scale, powerful, silent, and emissions-free mobile battery stations that are designed to replace traditional diesel generators in most applications today. We’re pioneering mobile energy storage technology, leveraging vertical integration and a software-enabled service model to deliver last-mile electrification for our customers and communities. The Moxion team is a passionate group of humans who care about the environment and disrupting the diesel economy. Come build the first distributed utility with us, propelling the biggest energy transformation of our lifetime.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Finite Element Analysis (FEA) Engineer to join our team. This role involves using FEA methodologies to design, analyze, and optimize advanced battery systems for electric energy storage solutions. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in mechanical engineering, materials science, and experience in battery technology. As our Simulation & FEA engineer you’ll be creating models to validate mechanical and thermal behaviors of our different systems and subsystems. You’ll own the models definition, hypothesis management, pre & post processing reports and provide direction to the mechanical engineering team to optimize the design. You’ll apply your technical expertise to provide quality analysis to the teams to enable the design and delivery of mobile energy storage systems.
What you’ll do:
- Perform simulations of complex mechanical systems using various finite element analysis (FEA) methods, including statics, dynamics, thermal.
- Thermal Management. Develop and analyze thermal models to manage heat generation and dissipation in battery systems.
- Perform correlation experiments to validate simulation results.
- Partner with mechanical design engineers to optimize designs and recommend solutions to achieve product requirements.
- Collaborate to create our own internal numerical tools to optimize our team’s response time to discrete behaviors.
- Perform analytical studies to understand design variation to create statistical analysis to support development.
- Structural Integrity Analysis. Ensure structural integrity under different loading conditions including mechanical, thermal, and environmental stresses.
- Develop standards based on best practices and correlation methods.
- Drive external vendors to deliver high quality analysis.
- Cross-functional Collaboration on a daily basis. Work with manufacturing, quality, and supply chain teams to ensure manufacturability and cost-effectiveness of designs.
Skills to be successful:
- Excellent fundamentals in Solid Mechanics and Strength of Materials
- Comfortable level knowledge of Finite Element modeling in static, dynamic and thermal
- Ability to mesh geometry, and create idealized mesh, accounting for topology and end use metrics.
- Proficiency in FEA software (e.g., ANSYS, ABAQUS, COMSOL or Solidworks).
- Strong understanding of battery technology and energy storage systems.
- Experience with thermal management and structural integrity analysis.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Process automation and ability to use scripting languages
- Experience with refinement, validation, and correlation to modal test data.
- Ability to solve static and dynamic structural problems using physics-based analytical methods (hand calcs and 3rd party commercial analytical tools)
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in FEA, preferably in the battery or energy storage industry.
Moxion is committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. Compensation displayed is a range. Maximum amounts are reserved for those candidates that exceed all experience and background requirements. We reserve the right to offer compensation based on level of experience. Moxion has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay within the San Francisco Bay area. If you live outside that region, the range is subject to change.
Base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within the range provided above. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role.
At Moxion you get
Health, dental, and vision coverage, 401K, PTO, competitive equity & compensation packages, free lunch, coffee, and snacks onsite, flexible work from home (for some roles), free tax advisory services, access to Mountain Hardware, Columbia, Sorel, & Prana employee stores and discounts, company swag, and parental leave program.
People are at the core of Moxion’s values. We care about growth for our people and team, and this translates to an open and transparent culture. Moxion believes that diversity is as core to our business as the underlying products and technology we’re developing. Diversity in people leads to diversity of thought and different perspectives to draw from, often resulting in a new or unique way of approaching or solving a problem. Diversity drives innovation.
Moxion is looking for candidates who identify with different races, religions, national origins, age groups, genders, or gender identities, and we don’t discriminate against marital status, physical or mental disability, health or medical conditions, military and veteran status, genetic information, and other classifications that may or may not be protected by law. If you can bring a unique perspective or experience to our company, please apply.
Moxion is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let our recruiting team know or email HR@moxionpower.com