Senior Mechanical Engineer - Closures, Body, and Joint Technology
IT, Other Engineering
Richmond, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Moxion is a vertically integrated manufacturer of all-electric mobile power and energy storage solutions. We have developed commercial-scale, powerful, silent, and emissions-free mobile battery stations that are designed to replace traditional diesel generators in most applications today. We’re pioneering mobile energy storage technology, leveraging vertical integration and a software-enabled service model to deliver last-mile electrification for our customers and communities. The Moxion team is a passionate group of humans who care about the environment and disrupting the diesel economy. Come build the first distributed utility with us, propelling the biggest energy transformation of our lifetime.
The Mechanical Engineer, Closures, Body, and Joint Technology will assume the responsibility of developing innovative and cost-effective solutions for various automotive components, including closures, sheet metal elements, and instrument panel systems. Their exceptional expertise and meticulous attention to detail will significantly contribute to the success of ongoing projects and enable the delivery of high-quality products to esteemed customers. This role will provide abundant opportunities to work on multiple products and actively engage in all stages of the product development cycle, encompassing ideation, prototyping, and high-volume manufacturing. The products designed and introduced to the market will serve as transformative forces, disrupting substantial industries that have witnessed little to no innovation in recent decades.
What you’ll do:
- Closures Design. Ensure functionality, structural integrity, and aesthetic appeal while adhering to industry standards and customer requirements.
- Sheet Metal Design: Create and optimize sheet metal components such as body panels, brackets, supports, and reinforcements. Apply design-for-manufacturability principles to improve efficiency and reduce production costs.
- Instrument Panel Development: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and develop instrument panels that meet ergonomic, safety, and aesthetic criteria. Ensure proper integration of electronic systems, controls, doors and other components.
- Prototyping and Testing: Create prototypes and conduct rigorous testing to validate design concepts, assess performance, and identify areas for improvement. Analyze test data and implement necessary design modifications to meet quality and performance targets.
- Manufacturing Support: Work closely with manufacturing engineers and suppliers to ensure successful production launch and efficient manufacturing processes. Resolve design-related issues and provide technical support during the manufacturing phase.
- Documentation and Reporting: Prepare detailed engineering drawings, specifications, bills of materials, and technical reports. Maintain accurate records of design changes, test results, and project milestones. Collaborate with team members to ensure timely completion of project deliverables.
- Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, including design, manufacturing, quality, and procurement. Communicate project progress, technical challenges, and potential risks to stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
- Take ownership of your product: Set up design review meetings, brainstorming sessions, seek feedback from subject matter experts, take responsibility for your design and own both wins and mistakes while maintaining clear communication and positive attitude to the team.
- Creating quality products from scratch using Solidworks CAD
- Using mechanical design analysis (FEA) to optimize your designs
- Brainstorming sessions, ambiguous problem solving, and teamwork
- Clearly documenting your ideas and staying organized
- Articulating your design decisions to suppliers and other team members (even the non-technical ones)
- Collaborating with manufacturing to hand build the first units
- Fast paced environment and launching products
Skills to be successful:
- Minimum of Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Sheet metal design / fabrication
- Design for automated manufacturing processes and equipment
- Design verification and durability testing
- Design failure mode effects analysis
- 2D drawing creation and GD&T
We currently use:
- Solidworks CAD
- Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, Slack, and Zoom
Moxion is committed to the principle of pay equity – paying employees equitably for substantially similar work. Compensation displayed is a range. Maximum amounts are reserved for those candidates that exceed all experience and background requirements. We reserve the right to offer compensation based on level of experience. Moxion has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay within the San Francisco Bay area. If you live outside that region, the range is subject to change.
Base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within the range provided above. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role.
At Moxion you get
Health, dental, and vision coverage, 401K, PTO, competitive equity & compensation packages, free lunch, coffee, and snacks onsite, flexible work from home (for some roles), free tax advisory services, access to Mountain Hardware, Columbia, Sorel, & Prana employee stores and discounts, company swag, and parental leave program.
People are at the core of Moxion’s values. We care about growth for our people and team, and this translates to an open and transparent culture. Moxion believes that diversity is as core to our business as the underlying products and technology we’re developing. Diversity in people leads to diversity of thought and different perspectives to draw from, often resulting in a new or unique way of approaching or solving a problem. Diversity drives innovation.
Moxion is looking for candidates who identify with different races, religions, national origins, age groups, genders, or gender identities, and we don’t discriminate against marital status, physical or mental disability, health or medical conditions, military and veteran status, genetic information, and other classifications that may or may not be protected by law. If you can bring a unique perspective or experience to our company, please apply.
Moxion is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let our recruiting team know or email HR@moxionpower.com