Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland, CA that invests predominantly in pre-seed and seed stage information technology companies whose core business simultaneously generates strong economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing the lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities, especially low-income communities and/or communities of color, or are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to: education, financial inclusion, health, employment, and justice. Kapor Capital has more than 120 companies in its portfolio, including Twilio, Ginger, Aclima, Career Karma, Numerade Blocpower, and Promise.
Kapor Capital is seeking to hire a Partner to be a member of the investment team and work closely with the founders. We are looking for a Partner to help run day-to-day operations of the fund and manage the team. The Partner will be expected to help set the fund thesis, composition and structure. Candidates should have successful full-time venture capital experience at a seed stage gap-closing impact fund. Other previous entrepreneurial and/or investment experience of any kind is a significant plus, especially if related to information technology. Your passion for working with diverse entrepreneurs and your commitment to a positive social impact investment model should be grounded in your lived experiences with underserved communities.
- Help develop fund strategy, budget and general operations to ensure the fund runs smoothly to have top quartile venture returns
- Lead and co-lead new investments and join internal teams for existing portfolio companies
- Understand and lead the full investment life-cycle from due diligence, close process, pre and post funding support to Series A funding
- Evaluate opportunities for investment, assess investment risks, analyze financial data, and perform business and investment valuation
- Proactively source high-quality new investment opportunities that fit our investment criteria of gap-closing for low income communities and/or communities of color
- Perform deal analysis and recommendations for follow-on investments in existing portfolio companies
- Negotiate with entrepreneurs the structure and deal terms for new investments
- Support portfolio companies on issues related to building a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Manage due diligence process, write investment memos and assist with investment execution
- Interact with entrepreneurs, advisors, clients, financing orgs, lawyers and non-profits
- Manage and provide mentorship to members of the investment team along with defining the fund thesis
- Participate in Leadership Team as a Kapor Capital representative to ensure cross-entity collaboration
- Develop and deliver presentations on new investment industries and fund performance to fund partners, portfolio companies and clients.
- Identify areas of inefficiencies at the firm and suggest improvements (e.g. diligence process, deal sourcing)
- Set agenda and chair weekly investment meeting
- Managing the prospect process and ensuring all members of the team are completing prospects in a timely fashion
- Evaluate opportunities for Kapor Capital sponsorship of conferences, meetups, incubators/accelerators, etc in collaboration with Kapor Center
- All employees are expected to make a strong effort to support mission-related organizations by volunteering in local community events (e.g, Hackathons, or SMASH events)
- Representing the Kapor Capital brand at both tech and investment conferences and in the press
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Accounting, or Computer Science. An MBA is a plus.
- Work experience in venture capital; work in impact investing and/or with underrepresented entrepreneurs is required
- Demonstrated commitment to closing gaps of access, opportunity or outcomes for low-income communities of underrepresented ethnic and racial minorities.
- Knowledge of the world of technology startups as a founder, early stage employee, or other full-time role.
- High level of confidentiality and strong work ethic.
- Exceptional analytical ability. Must be able to analyze data effectively, interpret results, and extract data-driven insights.
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization and to the larger technology community.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The compensation range for this position is $300,000 - $325,000. We offer a competitive health benefits package.
- Interact with VCs, entrepreneurs, and social change agents.
- Learn about education, health care, consumer finance, people ops, justice and the other industries in which we invest.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/ harassment based on "protected categories," Kapor Capital also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Kapor Capital.