Who we are
HopSkipDrive’s mission is to create opportunity for all through mobility. Our safe, innovative youth transportation solution is used by over 450 school districts, charter schools, non-profits and government agencies, and busy families to get kids where they need to go.
With nearly 500,000 yellow buses on the road every day and 3.5 billion miles driven a year, student transportation is the largest mass transit system in the US. And while districts spend $25 billion annually on transportation, only 30% of kids get to school on a bus every day. Add to the equation a crippling bus driver shortage and increasing needs for individualized transportation solutions, and it is clear the current system is expensive, inefficient, and ripe for disruption.
We create personalized transportation solutions from one to many, and everything in between.
We’re a company with heart
Our partnerships with school districts, child welfare agencies, and nonprofits ensure equitable educational access for our most vulnerable populations, including youth in foster care, youth experiencing homelessness, and youth with special needs.
We understand that the difference between struggle and success can sometimes be as simple as the ability to show up, which is why we’re on a mission to use innovative technology, coupled with operational expertise and new thinking to help kids reach their full potential by providing a safe, dependable way to get them where they are going.
We’re an awesome place to work
Our company culture has been well-recognized — HopSkipDrive has been named Fast Company Most Innovative Companies, Best Places to Work lists from Built in LA, Comparably, Inc., and the Los Angeles Business Journal. Comparably also named us to the Best Company for Professional Development, Best CEO, and Best CEOs for Women lists.
We’re growing rapidly
Founded by three moms as a solution to their own transportation challenges, we now serve 12 states and 22 metros across the country and continue to expand at a rapid pace, twice making the Inc. 5000 and Deloitte 500 Fast-Growing Technology lists. Backed by top-tier venture capital firms, HopSkipDrive has raised $100M in funding to date.
HopSkipDrive is seeking an experienced Controller who will play a critical role in supporting the rapid growth of our business. The Controller will lead and build out HopSkipDrive's accounting team and oversee the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements and the implementation of an ERP. Responsibilities will include enhancing the month-end close process, leading the transition to an ERP, implementing and upgrading internal controls, preparing and analyzing operating results for management, and managing the annual audit. This is an exciting opportunity to have a high-impact role in a rapidly scaling business.
What you’ll do:
- Lead preparation of timely and accurate financial reporting that enables the business to make optimal decisions
- Drive the month-end close process and seek continuous improvement in the rigor, speed and accuracy of reporting
- Review all month-end close activities including general ledger accounts and balance sheet accounts
- Lead transition to an ERP, including evaluating and selecting an ERP and driving implementation
- Establish and implement accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP best practices
- Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial reporting and partner with the Finance team to analyze monthly operating results against budget
- Lead and develop the accounting team, including building out accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Upgrade and monitor internal controls, audit compliance and financial procedures
- Implement best practices as it relates to systems, processes, and procedures focused on data accuracy and timeliness
- Manage annual audit, serving as the main point of contact with external auditors
- Oversee and direct treasury, cash management, payroll, audit, tax
- Drive enhancements to overall systems
- Be business partner to all functions on accounting-related matters as the business continues to grow and scale
What you'll need:
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Accounting
- CPA designation required
- Big Four or national accounting firm audit experience preferred
- Deep knowledge of U.S. GAAP
- 15+ years of relevant, proven accounting experience
- 4+ years in a position equivalent to Controller responsibilities
- Experience implementing accounting processes and systems (experience implementing an ERP preferred) and building a team
- Experience at a leading technology / mobility company preferred
- Skilled people leader who plans ahead, multitasks and prioritizes for the team
- Effective cross-functional partner with experience scaling a business
- Superior verbal and written communications skills with technical and non-technical audiences
- Highly motivated self-starter who is an enthusiastic team player
- Strong attention to detail
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment for a rapidly growing business
What you will get
We want you to be an owner in our company and share in executing our vision, so every full-time employee has equity. In addition, we offer competitive market comp, unlimited vacation, FSA, medical, dental and vision, 401(k), and an opportunity to work for a uniquely positioned, VC-backed company in a hugely attractive space with significant upside potential. HopSkipDrive is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The salary range for this role is $180,000 to $230,000. This is a hybrid opportunity. Candidate must live in Los Angeles/OC area within a commuting distance from the headquarters in Downtown Little Tokyo. Final compensation for this role will be determined by several factors such as a candidate’s relevant work experience, skill set and specific work location. The total compensation package for this role also includes equity stock options.
Equal Opportunity Employer
HopSkipDrive is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected class. HopSkipDrive is also proud to operate as a drug-free workplace.