Engineering Manager (m/w/x)
Grover makes access to tech easy, affordable, and sustainable—with flexible tech rental subscriptions. No deposits, no commitment, just tech when you want it for as long as you need it.
With around $1.3 billion in financing, Grover is one of Germany’s best-funded scale-ups, and we’re growing fast. Since 2015, we’ve gone from a small startup operating out of a Berlin apartment to a team of 500+ people, bringing flexible tech subscriptions to renters across Germany, Austria, the USA, Spain, and The Netherlands.
And we’re just getting started. This year, we’re expanding into even more countries and launching even more innovative ways for people to access the tech they need.
Our Mission & Vision
We’re making it possible for more people to get the best out of life–with flexible, affordable access to the tech they need. That was our bold vision when we started back in 2015, and—with over 1 million renters across 5 countries—we’re right on track.
We’re also proud to champion a more sustainable way to use tech. With over 500,000 devices returned, refurbished, and recirculated so far, we’ve already saved 1,500 tons of e-waste from ending up in a landfill.
Want to join us on our mission to give more people flexible access to the tech they need? We’d love to have you on the team.
We are now looking for a passionate Engineering Manager to coach and grow the Grover Card squad. The team is currently composed of 6 software engineers sharing the same passion for Grover's mission and excellence.
The squads’ primary mission is - but not limited to - Onboarding Grover Card into Financial Services Eco-system. You will have space for ownership and have a tangible impact on our teams and products!
As one of our first Engineering Managers, you will:
- Collaborate with our CTO, Engineering Managers, and the People Ops to build long term tech strategies
- Scale our engineering culture and frameworks for all our key processes (engineering, product, and people)
- Shape the future of our architecture and tech ecosystem while we grow and expand in new countries
- Lead 5 to 8 Developers in a cross-functional squad
- Take care of the well-being, growth, and performance of your team members
- Plan and organise the most efficient way of working for even more agility
- Ensure a great collaboration with our product team and business stakeholders
- Contribute to our hiring strategy and onboard new team members
You care about:
- Ownership: you easily communicate ideas, implement them, and take responsibility for your actions
- Helping others: sharing knowledge with your colleagues is on top of your priorities
- Fast-paced startups: you love adapting to different situations, and you know how and when to iterate fast and with high quality
- Our product: you believe in our vision, and are willing to give your best to build the future of Grover
...and you like our tech stack:
- Node.js (NestJS, TypeScript) for our services
- Ruby (Rails) for our eCommerce application
- Data: Postgres, ElasticSearch and Mongo / DocumentDB
- GraphQL and REST APIs
- Messaging: Kafka (Confluent)
- Infrastructure as code: Terraform to maintain our AWS infrastructure (Microservices - ECS with EC2 and Fargate, as well as serverless with API Gateway and Lambda
We are looking for a passionate Engineering Manager with:
- At least 2 years' experience on a similar leadership role, ideally within distributed teams
- Senior background full-stack web development
- Experience managing teams on a similar ecosystem and a fast-paced environment
- Desire to use and implement engineering best practices such as CI/CD, TDD, XP
- Autonomy and maturity. You are able to question the status quo, and you can take strategic decisions by yourself when needed
- Business acumen. You can see the big picture from both tech & business angles, and shape your strategy and communication accordingly
- Leadership skills: you are a servant leader, who inspires your team members and engage them in our vision and goals
It is a plus:
- Background in payment domain
- Experience with HTTP integration
- Experience with fintechs