Senior Manager, Power Systems
Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for a creative and experienced engineering leader to develop and integrate power systems used to transfer energy between Form’s batteries and the grid. This technical management role will drive the power systems function at Form, including power converter topology selection, make vs. buy decisions, in-house test and validation capabilities, and external supplier partnerships. Planning and executing hands-on work in a lab environment, including design, assembly, and test, will be daily activities. Beyond building a team to execute power system development, this role will include long term power system strategy and will require collaboration with engineering leaders across a wide cross-section of technical disciplines.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with external partners to specify, select, and optimize best-in-class power converter solutions
- Model and design DC power collection topology, circuitry, and components
- Lead the selection, commissioning, and operation of electrical equipment used for testing and validation in the lab and field
- Develop and oversee test plans for engineering design, prototyping, and validation
- Identify, diagnose, and solve problems that are unique to Form’s power collection topology
- Build a team of engineers to drive the power system function at Form Energy
- Lead task delegation, planning, and program management towards our field deployed prototypes and pilot projects
- Develop the technology roadmap and strategy for power conversion design and integration
What You'll Bring:
- 10+ years of technical and/or management experience working with power systems in a product development environment - direct experience in energy storage or solar is a plus
- Comfortable working with high voltage (> 400 V) and high power ( > 10 kW) electrical systems and power converters
- Familiarity with model based design methodologies using MATLAB Simulink
- Experience with power system prototype assembly, operation, and troubleshooting
- Familiarity with data acquisition and industrial communication protocols (e.g., Modbus, CANbus)
- Experience with team building and management where decisions have company-wide impacts
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Commitment to growth and learning across various technical disciplines
- Bachelor's degree or greater in electronics or electrical engineering
- Must be able to obtain US work authorization
The salary range for this role is $217,475 - $268,290. The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?