Senior Manufacturing Engineer, Welding
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We’re looking for a Senior Welding Engineer to play an integral role in a new manufacturing equipment team. This team is responsible for developing welding processes (GMAW, resistance, laser, etc.) used for manufacturing electrodes to be deployed in Form Energy’s commercial product. Metals include copper, carbon steel, nickel plated carbon steel, and nickel copper. You will start with experiments and equipment substation prototypes used to define equipment architectures and processes. Moving forward, you will be responsible for ramping up manufacturing equipment and processes to deliver high-volume production facilities. While this position is part of the Advanced Manufacturing Assembly organization, you would assist other Advanced Manufacturing divisions as needed. This is an exciting opportunity to develop novel processing technology while doing your part to help combat climate change!
This is an onsite role in Form Energy's Eighty Four, PA location (Greater Pittsburgh Area). Relocation assistance is available.
What You'll Do:
- Develop weld specification and processes, specify weld equipment, and design weld fixturing and tooling
- Work with automation integrators and other contractors to develop and deploy automated welding operations in production.
- Oversee prototype weldments to establish new product best practices and time standards. Troubleshoot robot programming and weld issues.
- Drive continuous improvement.
- Train technicians, process engineers, and scientist on new manufacturing equipment and processes
- Work with a diversity of teams inside and outside the company to achieve overall manufacturing success
- Be a champion for safety in the development of new equipment and processes
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing or pilot line environment
- BS in Engineering required
- Fundamental knowledge of welding processes across a variety of material systems, including knowledge of base material and welding material selection; welding automation; weld process verification; tooling and fixture designs required for weld operation
- Experience with multiple welding processes including: gas metal arc welding (GMAW), shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), resistance welding, and laser beam welding (LBW)
- Experience developing weld processes and parameters including: weld qualification tests, welding procedure specifications, procedure qualification records, mechanical testing, and NDE
- Experience using statistical methods for making process development decisions
- Experience in scaling up processes and equipment
- Strong interdisciplinary communicator across a range of engineering and business functions
- Demonstrated track record of innovative development and engineering
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?