Staff Thermal Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
Are you an experienced thermal FEA engineer looking to join a new and growing Advanced Manufacturing team? This team responsible for developing novel equipment used to manufacture electrodes for Form Energy’s commercial product and you could be the first dedicated Thermal Engineer on it!
Reporting to the Sr. Manager of Advanced Manufacturing, you will design and analyze high temperature equipment as part of the equipment engineering design process. This work will include initial concept generation, creating bounding calculations, followed by detailed design and FEA model generation to predict heat flow and resultant temperatures. Then mechanical designs will be fabricated and all analysis will be validated by empirical testing as manufacturing equipment is developed and deployed into production.
You can expect to become deeply entrenched in the intersection of thermal analysis, machine design, process engineering, and manufacturing operations as the team works toward a common goal of manufacturing novel high performance electrodes in high volume for the first time.
What You'll Do:
- Develop, drawings, sketches and detailed 3D FEA models to enable equipment design, variations and improvements, new learnings, troubleshooting issues
- Supports the development and design of high temperature thermal processing equipment
- Apply a solid understanding of mechanical design as it relates to mechanics, dynamics, fluid flow, and heat transfer with a strong emphasis on design for manufacturing, following best practices in CAD and FEA analysis to ensure accurate computational efficiency
- Partner closely with mechanical design engineers on new and existing equipment designs, as well as vendors and internal cross functional teams
- Lead the development of simulation tools and contribute to the concepts used for prediction and performance development by running simulations, upgrading and updating features, and correlating to test data
- Create and automate data analysis from thermal simulations to enable data-based decision making
- Support subsystem concepts by generating new data, troubleshooting and resolving divergences and geometry inputs, and maintaining fluid designs
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of thermal engineering experience with a focus on modeling thermal processing equipment
- Expert understanding of fluid dynamics, heat transfer
- Proficiency in Mechanical FEA Analysis
- Knowledge of SolidWorks or similar CAD program required
- Ability to perform engineering hand calculations to support Mechanical FEA analysis
- Ability to use CAD to support assemblies and assembly BOMs
- 2+ years of fluid simulation (3D-CFD) experience
- Proficiency in Star-CCM+ and/or GT-Suite/1D modeling software
- Proficiency with scripting languages such as Python and/or MATLAB
- Strong communication skills within a group of peers and broader organization including remote team members
- Excitement and willingness to join a rapidly growing multi-disciplinary engineering team
- BS degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent)
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?