Staff Manufacturing Controls Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2022
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for an experienced controls engineer to join the new and growing Advanced Manufacturing team, responsible for developing novel equipment used to manufacture electrodes for Form Energy’s commercial product. This role offers an exciting opportunity to bring novel manufacturing equipment to life while doing your part to help combat climate change! Reporting to the Manager of Advanced Manufacturing, you will lead a quickly-growing controls group while focusing on creating equipment for manufacturing and its sub-assemblies.
In this role, you will build control systems for PLC driven robotic cells, servo actuated mechatronic systems, and high volume automated process equipment, with an initial focus on subsystem development and later on system integration in a manufacturing environment.
Bringing your experience in control system design, programming, commissioning, and equipment hand off to manufacturing operations, you will work closely with a wide variety of teams both on the technical and operational sides of Form. You can expect to become deeply entrenched in the intersection of critical functions including control system design, process engineering, and manufacturing operations as the team works toward a common goal of manufacturing high performance electrodes in high volume.
What You'll Do:
- Develop company level controls standards and specifications for application by the internal equipment development team and external partners.
- Create controls system architecture and logic for manufacturing equipment and production lines.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics.
- Architect, write, and debug PLC controls logic with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire lifecycle of the manufacturing equipment development.
- Characterize and validate new automated process equipment for deployment into production.
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Robotics Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- Proficiency with electromechanical / mechatronic system design and motion control as well as process automation.
- Advanced proficiency in programming industrial equipment in all IEC 61131-3 languages with a focus on structured text and ladder logic.
- Experience developing the controls system logic for industrial equipment including, Safety PLCs, Human Machine Interface, Field bus Networks, Serial and ethernet communication between PLCs and instruments, and database systems.
- Proficiency selecting and integrating hardware for industrial automation and sensing, including but not limited to appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cablings, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, motor controls elements.
- Proficiency creating detailed electrical and fluid schematics in CAD (AutoCAD Electrical preferred).
- Experience programming 6-Axis industrial robots (Fanuc, Kuka, ABB, etc).
- Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
- Strong technical communication skills, both written and verbal.
- BS degree or higher in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent).
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?