Fluid Systems Engineer
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
We are looking for a fluid systems engineer to join our product engineering team. You will play an important role in the development of renewable hydrogen product plants at industrial scale. You will design our next generation products and carry your design ideas from prototype and pilot scale testing into implementation in our product scale customer plants. You will work with the mechanical design engineering team to manage design requirements, improve scope interfaces and generate designs which guide the cost of electrolytically generated hydrogen lower than the costs of fossil hydrogen.
You will work onsite at our San Carlos, CA office and report to the Engineering Manager of the Fluid Systems team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design next-generation fluid systems products in partnership with mechanical design engineers
- Perform calculations and sensitivity analysis to support product optimization and requirements management
- Evaluate and select phase separation, fluid conveyance, ultra-pure water handling, and pumping equipment for reliability and cost
- Create important fluid systems drawings and documents, including Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s), Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s)
- Support process safety analysis, such as Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP), and (Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Manage product change in a lifecycle approach, improving the product fluid system
- Use Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA) with thoughtful design controls to eliminate or reduce occurrence of failure modes
- Up to 10% travel to equipment suppliers, production facilities, and customer sites
- B.S. or M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 0 to 3 years work experience in a relevant industry (e.g. Biopharm, Chemicals, Energy Storage, Renewables, Semi-conductor, Water Treatment, Aerospace)
- Process design simulation experience (ASPEN Plus / HYSIS) in an academic or professional environment
- Experience handling fluid systems hardware (Piping, Plumbing, Tubing) is ideal
- Basic knowledge of codes and standards applicable to electrolysis & process industry
Compensation and Benefits | P2 Tier 1
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!