Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who you’ll be joining:
As a Manufacturing Engineer you will be a key part of new product development and of sustaining device production at ecobee – ensuring the product design team are continually thinking about manufacturability, cost and supply chain from the concept stage right through until mass production. You will be an integral figure, acting as a liaison between our Industrial Design, Hardware, Mechanical Engineering, Product teams and our large global supplier network. You will join a diverse, multi-talented team of fifteen people, with expertise in mechanical engineering, electronics manufacturing and supply chain management.
It's easy to make one cool device. Making one million is the hard part!
How you'll make an impact:
You’ll be organized, driven, and ready to react quickly to the many fast-paced changes of new product development. You must be comfortable dealing directly with suppliers - both domestic and international – as well as bridging the gaps between the many disciplines of ecobee’s internal engineering teams.
This role is perfect for someone with experience bringing high volume consumer products to market, who is interested in making the jump to the fast growing IoT industry.
- Sustaining and improving existing products in production (quality improvement, capacity improvement, cost reductions)
- Responsible for driving DFM activities during all phases of product development cycle
- Ensure prototype builds are scheduled with suppliers & contract manufactures and delivered on time.
- Review prototype assembly and test results and implement design changes to ensure products meet requirements for quality and cost
- Manage the PDM activities for release for prototypes to contract manufacturers and suppliers
- Develop and document assembly/test procedures which ensure product requirements are met and ready for MP handoff
- Ensure manufacturing process is designed to meet requirements for capacity, cost and quality
- Identify manufacturability issues which may have a negative impact on process yields/quality/cost, determine their root cause and take corrective actions
- Travel to Asian contract manufacturers to check that manufacturing processes meet our requirements (around 3 times per year)
- Please note that while many roles at ecobee have the option of being remote, the nature of this role requires you to be hands on and to be in our Toronto office 2-3 times a week.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- You have 2-5 years of experience with manufacturing electromechanical products – high volume experience, even better!
- Degree in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing engineering or relevant experience / education
- Experience working directly with contract manufacturers and suppliers to drive schedules, reduce cost and improve quality
- Comfortable driving improvements in designs to improve manufacturability and cost
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize effectively and multi-task in a fast paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Prefer to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to implement solutions
- Bonus points if you have experience in any of the following:
- Product development / NPI stages of mass production consumer electronics with RF functionality
- Automated testing of high volume electronics products
- Working directly with injection moulding, die casting, and metal stamping suppliers
- Working directly with Asian (China, Vietnam, Malaysia) outsource manufacturers
- Experience with Python, Matlab for data analysis and automated reporting
Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background check.
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make a difference for the environment: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of a office-based, fully remote, or hybrid work environment. New team members working remotely, will have all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them, and we conduct our interviews and onboarding sessions primarily through video.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.