Staff Engineer, Machine Learning
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who You’ll be Joining:
We’re looking for a Staff Machine Learning Engineer to join our Data Science Chapter — a team that’s on a mission to make our ecosystem of products more intelligent and more capable of responding to our customer’s individual needs than ever before.
Reporting directly to the VP of Data Science, you’ll support several teams within the Data Science Chapter, all made up of engineers that come from diverse backgrounds in machine learning and artificial intelligence.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
Working across multiple teams within Data Science, you’ll use your expertise in machine learning to support and advance various projects while also collaborating closely with members of our Product and Business Intelligence teams on missions ranging from personalization, recommendations, energy efficiency, home security, and building a cleaner energy grid.
You’ll contribute directly to the development of our machine learning infrastructure, iterating quickly, running and scaling experiments with data sets containing hundreds of billions of data points, and rapidly shipping products on both the cloud and the edge.
As a Staff Machine Learning Engineer at ecobee, you will;
- Lead the development of advanced machine learning algorithms to personalize the customer journey across several touch points, including paid ads, SEO content, web pages and in-product experiences.
- Collaborate closely with technical and non-technical stakeholders, including business partners, engineering and analytics teams.
- Manage the full machine learning development lifecycle from problem framing, data wrangling, and model development all the way to productionization, experimentation, and maintenance.
- Design and deploy large-scale machine learning products on structured and unstructured content (telemetry, audio, video, user behaviour and preferences) with correctness, usability, interpretability, experimentation, and maintainability in mind.
- Determine the feasibility of initiatives through quick prototyping and with respect to performance, quality, time, and cost.
- Leverage your experience to drive best practices in machine Learning Engineering and mentor Senior Engineers within the Data Science Chapter.
- Bring cutting-edge research and industry knowledge into the team around natural language processing (NLP), computer vision, machine learning, generative AI, and related areas.
What You’ll Bring to the Table
We’ve built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team — but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skillset, so if any combination of these applies to you, we’ve love to chat!
- Graduate degree (Masters/PhD) or equivalent experience in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field.
- Extensive experience applying machine learning to multiple projects aimed at solving real-world problems.
- Extensive experience with manipulating data sets, building statistical models, and productionizing machine learning solutions using state-of-the-art and big data technology.
- Experience working with data at the scale of 1TB or more, leveraging big data processing frameworks like Spark and Google Cloud Dataflow.
- Experience with software engineering and DevOps practices as well as ML-Ops deployment and infrastructure.
- Experience optimizing for resource constrained edge devices.
- Proven software engineering skills across multiple languages such as Python, C/C++, and the accompanying frameworks and libraries used in machine learning packages.
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional projects to successful conclusions using strong problem-solving skills and the ability to communicate complex concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven ability to develop and train production-ready machine learning models including transformer models, reinforcement learning, neural networks, model training in an area such as classifiers, recommenders, vision, and speech.
- Expertise with implementation details of large neural-network architectures using frameworks like PyTorch, Tensorflow, Keras, JAX, etc.
- Expertise working in environments that leverage Scrum and Agile.
- Knowledge of how to manipulate data to perform analysis — including querying data, defining metrics, and slicing data to evaluate hypotheses.
What happens after you apply?
Application Review. It will happen. By an atual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ application for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
Interview Process (3 Rounds)
- Round 1: A 30-minute phone call with a member of Talent Acquisition.
- Round 2: A 45-minute virtual meeting with a Senior Manager within Data Science. This will be a technical interview in the form of a Q&A.
- Round 3 is broken into two parts;
- Part 1: A 1-hour virtual meeting with a pair of senior members of our Machine Learning team. You’ll present your solution to a case-study (provided in advance for you to prepare) and respond to their questions regarding your presentation.
- Part 2: A 45-minute virtual meeting our VP of Data Science, and a Staff Product Manager for a Q&A on machine learning in a product-context.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make a difference for the environment: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of a office-based, fully remote, or hybrid work environment. New team members working remotely, will have all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them, and we conduct our interviews and onboarding sessions primarily through video.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.