Director, Data Engineering
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
This role is open to being 100% remote within Canada, although our home office is located in Toronto, Ontario. You’ll be required to travel to Toronto at a minimum once per quarter for team and/or company events.
Who You’ll be Joining:
As the Director of Data Engineering, you’ll be joining our VP of Data Science and the greater Data Science Management team here at ecobee, as you lead your team of Data Engineers in building our next generation data platform.
You and your team will lead ecobee in the migration to a data-product culture and in doing so be responsible for defining and building a data-mesh architecture that governs and supports both new and existing data products across all our business domains.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
Your extensive knowledge in data engineering will go towards building an organizational data structure and system architecture that empowers our teams with the ability to intuitively build a cohesive data ecosystem, govern their own data and self-serve their ongoing needs with insights in real-time.
You’ll lead from the front, leveraging you and your team’s strong engineering capabilities to build the core data platform and champion new standards in data development, enabling your team and others to build data products that are discoverable, interoperable, addressable, and secure.
As a Director of Data Engineering at ecobee you will;
- Foster a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment.
- Hire and develop a team of data engineers — providing them coaching, mentoring, motivation, and technical guidance.
- Build high-quality, efficient, and scalable data infrastructure.
- Bring big-picture thinking to our organizational data strategy, providing guidance to data, engineering, and product teams.
- Partner with domain teams to migrate their existing data products to new data infrastructure and/or governance platform.
- Lead data architecture design that reduces complexity and enables extendibility and reusability.
- Continuously improve engineering practices — balancing speed, quality, and business impact.
- Build effective agile practices that deliver robust solutions on time and on budget.
- Lead the execution of project plans, delivery commitments, and risk mitigation.
- Help evaluate the feasibility of initiatives through quick prototyping with respect to performance, quality, time, and cost.
- Build strong partnerships with cross-functional teams to contribute to, and deliver unique customer experiences.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous, and high-stakes environment.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
We've built the below list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from diverse backgrounds and skill sets, so if any combination of these applies to you we'd love to chat!
- A strong background in Data Engineering and/or Data Architecture that extends out to modern cloud infrastructure and data-mesh/data-fabric principles.
- Hands-on engineering experience, and the on-going willingness to engage in hands-on development.
- The ability to manage people empathetically and effectively.
- The ability to champion projects, educate and inspire cross-functional teams and stakeholders (both technical and non-technical) using excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Agile and other program management methodologies.
- Strategies that proactively identify upcoming risks, issues, and bottlenecks both within your team and across departmental boundaries.
- A curious, analytical mentality with a bias towards taking action.
- Experience with some of the following technologies: GCP, AWS, Big Query, Dataflow, Airflow, Matillion, SiSense, Terraform, Docker
Just so you know: The sucessful candidate will be required to complete a background check.
What happens after you apply?
Application Review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ application for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
Interview Process (4 Rounds)
- Round 1: A 30-minute phone call with a member of Talent Acquisition.
- Round 2: A 1-hour virtual meeting with the VP of Data Science. This interview has a values and leadership focus.
- Round 3: A 1-hour virtual meeting with a cross-functional team. This interview has a technical focus.
- Round 4: A 1-hour virtual meeting with senior leaders from two teams you’ll work closely with in a cross-functional capacity.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make a difference for the environment: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of a office-based, fully remote, or hybrid work environment. New team members working remotely, will have all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them, and we conduct our interviews and onboarding sessions primarily through video.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.