Machining/NDT Process Development Engineer
Boston Metal is commercializing cutting edge extractive metallurgy technology that will revolutionize primary metals production, while decreasing cost and lowering environmental impact. This fast-paced startup company is looking for a Process Development Engineer to join the team.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to alloy processing, laboratory-scale experimental design and setup, chemical hood operation, sample preparation and analysis, data analysis and reporting, documentation, SOP development and management.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate and run laboratory-scale and pilot-scale powder metallurgy experiments.
- Collaborate with process development and alloy development groups in developing plans for studies.
- SEM, XRF, basic characterization of test components prior to and after experiment runs.
- Present results of experiment studies and make recommendations for next steps.
- Analyze results from experiments – desired experience with Design of Experiment, EXCEL, PowerPoint.
- Maintain a safety mindset while working in a fast-paced environment.
This position requires a minimum education level of a Bachelor’s Degree in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or Ceramics Engineering. Qualified candidates will have hands-on experience in a technical environment, conducting laboratory-scale experiments, and performing data analysis/reporting.
- Experience with powder metallurgy processes – minimum 5 years
- Experience with high-temperature materials processes, i.e., > 1000 deg C.
- Metallographic and other sample preparation and analysis.
- Experience with optical and SEM microscopy.
- Data analysis and reporting, including Design of Experiment (DOE) methodologies.
- Laboratory equipment maintenance.
- Experience with chemical hood operations.
- Good record keeping and organization skills.
- The employee must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as required by the specific work activity which may include: N95 mask or respirator; various types of gloves/hand protection; safety shoes; head protection; and protective clothing.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop or crouch.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals and/or hazardous waste, and occasional exposure to moving equipment, the risks of which are minimized through compliance with established use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and safety policies and procedures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. We operate pilot plants and labs and many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We are people first with a comprehensive benefits package that can be customized to fit your needs. Our full benefits package offers health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick & holidays, health savings account, dependent care account plan, paid parental and bonding leave and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer who considers all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, disability, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Medical insurance, vision insurance, dental insurance, 401K, paid maternity leave, paid paternity leave, disability leave