Boston Metal’s molten oxide electrolysis cells are commercializing cutting-edge extractive metallurgy technology that will revolutionize primary metals production by improving metal quality while decreasing cost and lowering environmental impact. This fast-paced startup company is looking for a Refractory Engineer to join our passionate team.
The Refractory Engineer will design and develop refractory, bill of materials, scope of work and drawings for all aspects molten oxide electrolysis steelmaking. Also required are all steps in the procurement process: RFQ creation, vendor selection, and active managing of vendors on PO. Additional responsibilities will include thermal analysis for refractory design. Success in this role requires cross-functional coordination between R&D, cell and plant engineering, automation, and operations teams.
- Create conceptual designs of new cells
- Perform refractory selection and post-mortem analysis based on required furnace temperatures, electrolyte compatibility, and functionalities
- Prepare studies, reports, designs, specifications, sketches, diagrams, schematic drawings, and final working/construction drawings
- Complete review of refractory bids for specification and bill of material compliance prior to final order placement
- Participate in R&D discussions on refractory implications from chemical process
- Incorporating feedback from non-mechanical engineering teams into designs
- Designing around key program requirements
- Manage refractory contractors during bricking/installation/demolition
Required Skills & Experience
Bachelors, MS or PhD Degree in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering and/or 5+ yrs industry experience in steel, ferrous foundry, aluminum or glass refractory design and application.
- Experience with high temperature materials
- Ability to run thermal analysis is a plus (Comsol, Solidworks)
- Required expertise in 3D Solidworks modeling and drafting.
- R&D experience a plus
- Proven ability to creatively problem solve
- Ability to work independently and in small groups
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. We operate pilot plants and labs and many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We are people first with a comprehensive benefits package that can be customized to fit your needs. Our full benefits package offers health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick & holidays, health savings account, dependent care account plan, paid parental and bonding leave and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer who considers all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, disability, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please provide resume if interested.