Model-Based Controls Engineer
Boston Metal seeks a Model-Based Controls Engineer to facilitate the development of new high-temperature electrolysis systems to produce carbon-emissions-free tonnage molten metals and alloys.
You will work with other members of our Advanced Automation and Systems team, as well as other Boston Metal teams as required, to collect software requirements, create, maintain, and refine the advanced control system for the Molten Oxide Electrolysis (MOE) cells, perform closed-loop simulations to validate control design, participate in the MOE cell commissioning, test runs, controller calibration and logged data analysis.
- Develop, maintain and troubleshoot the software infrastructure used to run an industrial plant, including, but not limited to, the logic to control/interact with different pieces of equipment, alarm logic, and code generation toolchain.
- Define unit-level and system-level tests and perform model-in-the-loop (MiL) simulations to verify requirements and validate control system design and system dynamics model.
- Perform target-in-the-loop (TiL) testing to verify requirements and validate control system design and system dynamics model on the real-time system simulator.
- Develop, maintain and troubleshoot data pipelines and data analysis tools.
- Analyze simulation and test data to improve the fidelity of the control system and system dynamics model.
- Recommend improvements to the system structure and implementation to enhance efficiency and maintainability.
- Work in a collaborative manner with other teams as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Experience and skills:
- B.Sc or M.S. in Controls Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar field
- Proficiency using MATLAB/Simulink
- Proficiency with at least one modern Object-Oriented language, such as Python or C++
- Proficiency with Python
- Knowledge of relational database concepts and SQL
- Familiar with version control tools, such as SVN or Git
- Must have 'startup attitude', thrive in small teams, self-motivated, quick learner, passionate, agile, and adaptable
- Familiar with MATLAB's Stateflow/Simscape modeling tools; testing tools; Simulink’s code generation tools
- Familiar with using MATLAB as an object-oriented programming language
- Familiar with SQLAlchemy 2.0 (Python library)
- Familiar with C/C++
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. We operate pilot plants and labs and many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick & holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, disability, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.