The Rigger typically has 2-3 years and supporting documented field experience and is proficient in the sizing up of loads, assembling of rigging to lift, and move equipment or materials around site during maintenance activities.
Education / Training Requirements
- High School diploma
- Meet all applicable requirements to maintain unescorted access
- Pass initial and annual Radiation Worker Training
- Three years of experience working in a nuclear machine shop environment
- NCCER Certification or equivalent qualification: Nuclear
- NCCCO or EPRI: Fossil
- Minimum 2 years of experience in either Nuclear or Fossil or both.
Minimum Skill Requirements and Accountabilities
- Must be qualified rigger and signalman in accordance with applicable plant procedures.
- Must certify qualifications per plant specific procedure in a manner similar to the following:
- Attend refresher training, pass a written examination and practical operation exam or
- Provide documentation of classroom training including a written exam.
- Perform daily per-use inspection of equipment being used.
- Participate in pre-job briefings.
- Use and properly operate basic rigging equipment/tooling i.e. slings, chokers, cables, come-a-longs, chain falls, shackles, eye bolts, beam clamps, etc.
- Loads, transports, unloads and assists in selecting cables, ropes, pulleys, winches, blocks and sheaves, according to weight and size of load to be moved.
- Attaches pulley and blocks to fixed overhead structures, such as beams, ceilings and gin pole booms with bolts and clamps.
- Attaches load with grappling devices such as loops, wires, ropes and chains to crane hook.
- Gives direction to crane operator or hoisting engineer engaged in hoisting and moving loads to ensure safety of workers and materials handled using hand signals, loudspeaker, two-way radio or telephone.
- Sets up braces and rigs hoisting equipment using hand tools and power wrenches.
- Has ability to tie various knots.
- Coordinate the movement of hands and feet according to visual signals and directions.
Turbine Rigger - Three years' Industrial experience
Turbine Rigger - Returnee – Three years' plus Industrial experience