Director of Data Engineering
Who We Are
Arcadia is the technology company empowering energy innovators and consumers to fight the climate crisis. Our software and APIs are revolutionizing an industry held back by outdated systems and institutions by creating unprecedented access to the data and clean energy needed to make a decarbonized energy grid possible.
In 2014, Arcadia set out on its mission to break the fossil fuel monopoly and since then we have been knocking down the institutional barriers to unlock decarbonization. To date, we have connected hundreds of thousands of consumers and small businesses with high-quality clean energy options. Fast forward to today, and now, we’re thinking even bigger. We have launched Arc, an industry-defining SaaS platform that empowers developers and energy innovators to deliver their own custom, personalized energy experiences, accelerating the transformation of the industry from an analog energy system into a digitized information network.
Tackling one of the world’s biggest challenges requires out-of-the-box thinking & diverse perspectives. We’re building a team of individuals from different backgrounds, industries, & educational experiences. If you share our passion for ushering in the era of the clean electron, we look forward to learning what you would uniquely bring to Arcadia!
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a Director of Data Engineering to join the Data team. This individual will report to the SVP of Data and own Arcadia’s data infrastructure. This will include data ingestion from source applications, data pipeline creation, orchestration and maintenance of Arcadia’s Data Lake, and our reverse ETL framework used to export data assets to internal or external applications. The closest peer teams for this role will be Analytics Engineering (transforming unstructured data in the Data Lake into structured data for the Lakehouse), Analytics (owning analysis, insight generation, and tool automation), and Data Governance. The ideal person is a technical owner who loves building data frameworks and technical infrastructure to enable business outcomes.
Arcadia is a data company, and Data Engineering is an integral part of our goal to grow the business. The successful candidate will be a key architect for the Data team, enabling analytics, automation, and data product development with innovative, industry-leading data technologies.
The successful person will be responsible for a global team of four.
Arcadia is headquartered in Washington, DC, and open to fully remote candidates.
What you'll do:
- Serve as a key technical expert within the Data team, owning the quality and reliability of the Data stack, which is based on AWS
- Develop and own the data engineering strategy for the organization
- Represent the Data team in discussions with Engineering, Operations and other collaborators across Arcadia, to improve data integrity throughout our ecosystem
- Lead the design, implementation, and orchestration of data pipelines, leveraging Fivetran and Prefect
- Manage and optimize the data lake architecture, primarily in Snowflake, to ensure it meets the organization's data storage and Lakehouse requirements
- Own and improve the tooling and CI/CD processes used by the rest of the Data team to develop in the Lakehouse.
- Own and supervise the implementation of reverse ETL frameworks, to ensure data from the Lakehouse is synced and integrated into the organization's data systems.
- Mentor and lead a team of data engineers, providing guidance on best practices, technical standards, and development methodologies.
What will help you succeed:
- 8+ years of experience in data roles, at least 4 of which includes leading teams of data engineers
- Strong technical skills, including on cloud data infrastructure (ideally AWS), data manipulation and ingestion (we use Fivetran), pipeline orchestration (Airflow, Prefect), and data lake development (Snowflake)
- Experience with data streaming technologies (e.g. Kafka)
- Experience with CI/CD development (e.g. Github Actions)
- Strong team mentorship and coaching skills
- Outstanding sense of ownership and ability to partner with Analytics Engineering and with Analytics to build the best data solutions for Arcadia
- Experience leading distributed teams across multiple time zones, using sync and async communication
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with senior leadership
- Experience with AWS, Fivetran, Prefect and Snowflake (that’s part of our stack!)
- Energy industry background
- Experience with venture-backed start-ups
- "Remote first" culture - work anywhere in the US as long as you have a reliable internet connection
- Flexible PTO - no accrued hours and no limit on the number of vacation days employees can take each year
- 17 annual company-wide holidays including a week long "summer break"
- 10 days sick leave
- Up to 4 weeks bereavement leave
- 2 volunteer days off
- 2 professional development days off
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for all parents
- Weekly "flex time" - no internal meetings on Tuesdays and Friday afternoons
- 80-95% employer cost coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employees and dependents
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Target Annual Compensation Range for this role will be $200,000 to $250,000. There will also be a competitive benefits and equity (bonus if applicable) component to the package. The exact compensation at which this job is filled will be determined by the skills, experience, and location of the qualified candidate.
Something looks off?