Grid Code Compliance Engineer
Advanced Microgrid Solutions
Houston, TX, USA
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
About Fluence: Fluence Energy, Inc. (Nasdaq: FLNC) is a global market leader in energy storage products and services, and optimization software for renewables and storage. With a presence in over 47 markets globally, Fluence provides an ecosystem of offerings to drive the clean energy transition, including modular, scalable energy storage products, comprehensive service offerings, and the Fluence IQ Platform, which delivers AI-enabled SaaS products for managing and optimizing renewables and storage from any provider. Fluence is transforming the way we power our world by helping customers create more resilient and sustainable electric grids.
For more information, visit our website, or follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter. To stay up to date on the latest industry insights, sign up for Fluence's Full Potential Blog.
OUR CULTURE AND VALUES
We are guided by our passion to transform the way we power our world. Achieving our goals requires creativity, diversity of ideas and backgrounds, and building trust to effect change and move with speed.
We are Leading
Fluence currently has thousands of MW of energy storage projects operated or awarded worldwide in addition to the thousands of MW of projects managed by our trading platform—and we are growing every day.
We are Responsible
Fluence is defined by its unwavering commitment to safety, quality, and integrity.
We are Agile
We achieve our goals and meet our customer’s needs by cultivating curiosity, adaptability, and self-reflection in our teams.
We are Fun
We value the diversity in thought and experience of our coworkers and customers. Through honest, forthcoming, and respectful communications we work to ensure that Fluence is an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Location: Hybrid (2-3 days in office) in Houston, TX
Fluence, the global market leading energy storage technology company, is looking for a Grid Code Compliance Engineer in Americas, both North and South America regions. This position is within the Global Product and Technology team with focus on Grid Code Compliance aspects of Fluence Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), particularly the major components of the inverters and the Fluence plant control system.
What does a Grid Code Compliance Engineer do at Fluence?
- Analyse and evaluate Grid Code requirements in Americas and determine minimum performance thresholds of the BESS
- Support in developing designs to meet applicable local codes and standards
- Develop internal product specifications for Grid Code compliance
- Capture customer technical and application requirements to shape product roadmaps in the Americas region including USA, Canada, Chile etc.
- Carry out steady state simulations of BESS designs to confirm BESS design meets grid code requirements
- Work with Sales and Marketing teams to negotiate the technical aspects of contract negotiations and emerging market needs
- Support the Grid Code compliance and Grid connection within Sales and Project phase
- Conduct feasibility and locational studies utilizing dynamic and grid models to identify and evaluate opportunities.
- Help shape future grid controls through model-based development of Fluence’s power plant controller and demonstrate functional & dynamic performance to meet plant-level requirements
- Support modelling requirements and activities in the Americas
What does an ideal candidate look like?
- Master's Degree in electrical engineering with focus on power systems or renewable energy systems
- Experience in review of grid connection compliance design
- At least four year's professional work experience in the power industry is preferred
- Ability to manage consultants and designers in sales and design phases across multiple projects
- Proficient in any of the power system analysis and control simulation tools (e.g., PSS®E, PowerFactory, PSCAD/EMTDC, MATLAB® Simulink®, PSLF)
- Knowledge of local standards and regulations, and grid codes such as North America ISO/RTO requirements (CAISO, ERCOT, MISO), IEEE 2800, NERC, Canada (IESO), Chile etc.
- Grid connection experience, such as Grid Code Compliance studies at sub-transmission and transmission levels.
- Experience & ability to work in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to travel 10-20% mostly in the US.
Fluence IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.