Senior Power Electronics Controls Engineer (m/f/d)
Advanced Microgrid Solutions
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
About Fluence: Fluence Energy, Inc. (Nasdaq: FLNC) is a global market leader in energy storage products and services, and optimization software for renewables and storage. With a presence in over 47 markets globally, Fluence provides an ecosystem of offerings to drive the clean energy transition, including modular, scalable energy storage products, comprehensive service offerings, and the Fluence IQ Platform, which delivers AI-enabled SaaS products for managing and optimizing renewables and storage from any provider. Fluence is transforming the way we power our world by helping customers create more resilient and sustainable electric grids.
For more information, visit our website, or follow us on LinkedIn or Twitter. To stay up to date on the latest industry insights, sign up for Fluence's Full Potential Blog.
OUR CULTURE AND VALUES
We are guided by our passion to transform the way we power our world. Achieving our goals requires creativity, diversity of ideas and backgrounds, and building trust to effect change and move with speed.
We are Leading
Fluence currently has thousands of MW of energy storage projects operated or awarded worldwide in addition to the thousands of MW of projects managed by our trading platform—and we are growing every day.
We are Responsible
Fluence is defined by its unwavering commitment to safety, quality, and integrity.
We are Agile
We achieve our goals and meet our customer’s needs by cultivating curiosity, adaptability, and self-reflection in our teams.
We are Fun
We value the diversity in thought and experience of our coworkers and customers. Through honest, forthcoming, and respectful communications we work to ensure that Fluence is an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Senior Power Electronics Controls Engineer will be driving development of innovative solutions around grid-forming application controls for PCS in utility scale energy storage solutions. This role demands expertise in power electronics, control theory, and programming to create innovative solutions that contribute to the integration of renewable energy sources and grid stabilization.
Key responsibilities are:
· Design and develop cutting-edge control algorithms for power electronic systems used in utility-scale energy storage projects, such as inverters and DC/DC converters
· Collaborate closely in a multidisciplinary environment comprising hardware engineers, plant controls developers, product managers and grid integration experts to clarify constraints and implement comprehensive PCS controls solutions to address innovative application requirements in the battery energy storage systems
· Interact with external development partners to ensure smooth collaboration
· Utilize simulation tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, PLECS, or equivalent to model, simulate, and analyze power electronics systems under various operating conditions
· Implement and rigorously validate control strategies through prototyping, testing, and iterative optimization to ensure optimal system performance
· Execute hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) and software-in-the-loop (SIL) testing to validate control algorithms, ensuring compatibility with complex grid scenarios
· Optimize control algorithms for efficiency, grid stability, and operational reliability while considering stringent industry standards and regulations
· Stay abreast of the latest advancements in power electronics and control techniques, applying innovative solutions that address challenges unique to utility-scale energy storage
· Contribute to comprehensive documentation, including control specifications, user guides, and application notes, to facilitate seamless integration and future enhancements
What will our ideal candidate bring to Fluence?
Here at Fluence, we strive to continuously improve, be intellectually curious and be adaptive to our customers and employee’s needs. Collaboration is key, both in our partnerships with our customers, and with each other. Fluence prioritizes the most critical efforts that allow for the greatest impact
· The ideal candidate will have a minimum of an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Electronics, Control Systems, or a related field and 4-8 years of work experience in development of controls SW for power conversion systems in the renewable energy industry
· Proficiency in programming languages such as C/C++, Python, or similar
· Thorough understanding of power electronics components, topologies, and their roles in utility-scale energy storage systems
· Proficient in simulation tools like MATLAB/Simulink, PLECS, or equivalent, to accurately model and predict system behavior
· Experience working with digital signal processors (DSPs) and microcontrollers employed in power electronics applications
· Solid background in hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) and software-in-the-loop (SIL) testing methodologies, ensuring robust control system validation
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to troubleshoot intricate control system challenges
· Knowledge of related utility grid interconnection standards and regional grid codes
· Familiarity with grid-forming operating modes and applications is a strong plus
· Knowledge of or history working with major component OEMs in the solar or battery storage industry is a plus
· Excellent English verbal and writing skills; German language skills is a plus
· Willing and able to travel, domestically and internationally, approximately 10% of the time
Fluence IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.