Sr. Commercial Finance Manager_Germany (m/f/d)
Advanced Microgrid Solutions
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2023
Fluence (Nasdaq: FLNC) is a global market leader in energy storage products and services and digital applications for renewables and storage. With a presence in 30 global markets, Fluence provides an ecosystem of offerings to drive the clean energy transition, including modular, scalable storage products, comprehensive service offerings, and the Fluence IQ platform, which delivers AI-enabled digital applications for managing and optimizing storage and renewables. The company is transforming the way we power our world by helping customers create more resilient and sustainable electric grids. For more information, please visit fluenceenergy.com.
OUR CULTURE AND VALUES
We are guided by our passion to transform the way we power our world. Achieving our goals requires creativity, diversity of ideas and backgrounds, and building trust to effect change and move with speed.
We are Leading
Fluence currently has thousands of MW of energy storage projects operated or awarded worldwide in addition to the thousands of MW of projects managed by our trading platform—and we are growing every day.
We are Responsible
Fluence is defined by its unwavering commitment to safety, quality, and integrity.
We are Agile
We achieve our goals and meet our customer’s needs by cultivating curiosity, adaptability, and self-reflection in our teams.
We are Fun
We value the diversity in thought and experience of our coworkers and customers. Through honest, forthcoming, and respectful communications we work to ensure that Fluence is an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
Role/Mission of the Senior Commercial Sales Manager
The Commercial function is one that is customer focused, caring deeply about improving our customer experiences in order that Fluence grows profitably. The function is fundamental in driving commercial process compliance and in helping drive Fluence in our ambitious growth plan. Our high level of commercial leadership will protect and enhance the Fluence brand in the markets and industries in which we operate such that our customers will have a positive view of the Fluence experience.
The Senior Commercial Manager manages relationships with external clients and agencies as well as internal departments including, in the main, an active interface with our sales and engineering teams whilst they are negotiating on terms and conditions and then managing and improving our execution of the contracts in line with the agreed terms.. The individual should be commercially and contractually aware with an ability to work under pressure across multiple projects and manage time effectively.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
· Support the sales and engineering teams during tender negotiations to ensure terms agreed are mutually beneficial and clear for Fluence to execute. The Senior CSM will actively participate in project risk reviews, T&C reviews and negotiations and, ultimately, play an active part in win strategies
· The Senior CSM will implement changes and set standards for our processes across the Deal Teams and Services teams. Continuous review and improvement of existing processes and tools is essential to ensure an excellent level of customer service.
· The Senior CSM will focus strongly on commercial rigor. Key to this is a thorough assessment of risk (to project and to the Fluence financial performance). The person will have a strong understanding of project cashflows, milestone management, the application of T&C’s (and mitigating actions when required).
· Proactively shape risks and opportunities in contractual negotiations in order to package acceptable deal outcomes
· Analysis, screening, and commentary of commercial tender documents and support for completion of offer documents prior to submittal in close cooperation with legal
· Coordination with legal Interfaces for all contractual and legal activities with 3rd parties.
· Evaluating projects in terms of commercial and administrative conditions during offer stage and giving inputs to Capex and Opex preparation
· Manage securities and guarantees from parent companies and external securities provider
· Support financing solutions in close cooperation with banks and financial institutions
· Coordination of tax and tax concepts, customs, logistics, and insurance topics together with subject matter experts
· Definition currency strategy and managing currency risks during tender and offer stage
· Forecasting and planning order entries, margin, and revenue recognition
· Facilitate lessons learnt from prior bids and tenders to ensure encourage a lessons learned culture to drive improvement.
· Ensure an accurate management approval process for opportunities and a seamless handover to the project execution team
· Support the Director of CSM and the EMEA Leadership Team in delivering growth for Fluence
As a Senior Commercial Manager you will be qualified to degree level in a business, finance or engineering discipline and/or you will have gained a minimum of 5 years’ experience in commercial management.
Confident and adaptable communicator, comfortable at all levels. A clear thinker able to see the bigger picture and plot a route through the detail. Self-motivated and able to work alone, but equally engage with and bring a team with them on the journey. Commercially experienced in contract negotiation and ability to work across an organisation aligning with key stakholders both internally and externally.
A technical background is welcome but not essential and candidates must possess the ability to understand technical issues.
Other Desirable Skills
Comfortable setting themselves and achieving stretching targets and objectives. Some experience working with (not for) consultancy organisations where they have been involved in a change programme. Some experience of working with Private Equity organisations useful but not essential, but being able to understand the financial model of a successful business is essential
Intellectually and emotionally strong, a good listener able to capture opinion, good at thinking through and solving problems in a methodical way, self-driven and entrepreneurial, honest and approachable, possess a light hearted side with a sense of humor
Willing to listen, but also able to argue a different case strongly when required and willing to make tough commercial decisions. Sensitive and adaptable to different cultures (internally and externally
KPIs for the first 6 months
• They will have successfully gained the confidence and trust of the key stakeholders in the organization (leadership team and through key stakeholders) establishing credibility (and ability) to drive the business in the market.
• They will have gained a comprehensive understanding of the businesses capabilities, strengths, areas of improvement and opportunities for growth and development.
• They will have played a key role in winning a new contract(s) across key Fluence market sectors.
• They will have played a key part in ensuring commercial excellence is applied across the project lifecycle from developing to execution of the project.
Key competencies critical to the role-holder’s success include:
• Think strategically / operate tactically where necessary.
• Customer centric mindset – help keep the organization aligned
• Inventive yet commercially realistic – does it generate value ??
• Emotional intelligence – be able to read situations and adapt accordingly
• Integrity – Keep to a moral standard • Courage and conviction….bravery builds momentum
• Good listening skills
· Strong background in using Salesforce and MS Office software: Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
· Up to 25% travel as needed domestically and potentially globally
· Business fluent in English and German
Fluence IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.