Controls Engineer (m/f/d)
Advanced Microgrid Solutions
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2023
Fluence (Nasdaq: FLNC) is a global market leader in energy storage products and services and digital applications for renewables and storage. With a presence in 30 global markets, Fluence provides an ecosystem of offerings to drive the clean energy transition, including modular, scalable storage products, comprehensive service offerings, and the Fluence IQ platform, which delivers AI-enabled digital applications for managing and optimizing storage and renewables. The company is transforming the way we power our world by helping customers create more resilient and sustainable electric grids. For more information, please visit fluenceenergy.com.
OUR CULTURE AND VALUES
We are guided by our passion to transform the way we power our world. Achieving our goals requires creativity, diversity of ideas and backgrounds, and building trust to effect change and move with speed.
We are Leading
Fluence currently has thousands of MW of energy storage projects operated or awarded worldwide in addition to the thousands of MW of projects managed by our trading platform—and we are growing every day.
We are Responsible
Fluence is defined by its unwavering commitment to safety, quality, and integrity.
We are Agile
We achieve our goals and meet our customer’s needs by cultivating curiosity, adaptability, and self-reflection in our teams.
We are Fun
We value the diversity in thought and experience of our coworkers and customers. Through honest, forthcoming, and respectful communications we work to ensure that Fluence is an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
Drive the Project team on realization of the Project specific requirements with existing functionalities: Controls, Application modes, Grid integration as well as all related and relevant systems and processes.
- Drive the integration of the Fluence BESS control system into the Transmission System Operator (TSO) EMS systems: development of logic and control schemes for remote and local operation of the BESS to meet TSO requirements.
- Work with field engineers to find solutions to problems as they arise during commissioning/testing of a system, in all controls-related subjects.
- Support the product development engineering of utility scale energy storage solutions, including the development, implementation and testing of controls applications.
- Develop standardized test procedures and execute tests (FAT / SAT) to reduce commissioning time, and perform testing, including involvement in hands on lab testing during evaluations of prototype systems.
- Drive interface to Client and sub-contractor to support Controls compliance and drive concept during Tender and Project Execution phase.
- Develop and maintain documentation of existing Controls infrastructure including hardware, applications, protocols, communication links and system backup and recovery strategies.
- Keep current with all Company products, developments, and projects as they apply to the Controls network at both site and enterprise levels.
- Maintain strict management of change control procedures and documentation.
- Remain current on industry best practices and updated technology to ensure the company is provided world-class Controls services.
- Support company strategy and provide relevant reporting and updates to Company leadership as needed.
- Develop and recommend performance management and feedback to current Controls technical support KPI’s.
- Executing tasks related to Fluence’ safety KPIs
- Travel throughout EMEA
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in computer / industrial engineering with focus on automation and controls (or equivalent).
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant Controls/Software/programming experience with a power utility or related industry and the design, operation and maintenance of a power plant.
- Extensive knowledge in the electricity transmission/distribution sector and EMS systems: Grid code and requirements analysis, development and testing of algorithms for Grid services applications.
- Extensive knowledge in SCADA protocols: IEC60870-5-101/103/104, IEC 61850 MMS, DNP3, Modbus & TCP/IP, PLC, Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), SEL Real Time Automation Controller (RTAC), SEL Relays & Meters, Siemens Relays & Meters & SCADA Gateways & Data Concentrators.
- Experience in Linux based systems and commands. High-level programming languages such as Python and shell/bash scripting. Experience with Github.
- Nice to have, but not mandatory: MathWorks Simulink for model-based systems engineering, C/C++.
- Nice to have, but not mandator: experience on the design, operation and maintenance of high voltage electrical equipment including but not limited to inverters, transformers, I/O racks, telecommunications, and controllers
- Solution-orientated mindset
- Good communication skills
- Fluency in English
- German / other language skills
Fluence IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.