OS Application Engineer
Advanced Microgrid Solutions
Alpharetta, GA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Fluence (Nasdaq: FLNC) is a global market leader in energy storage products and services and digital applications for renewables and storage. With a presence in 30 global markets, Fluence provides an ecosystem of offerings to drive the clean energy transition, including modular, scalable storage products, comprehensive service offerings, and the Fluence IQ platform, which delivers AI-enabled digital applications for managing and optimizing storage and renewables. The company is transforming the way we power our world by helping customers create more resilient and sustainable electric grids. For more information, please visit fluenceenergy.com.
OUR CULTURE AND VALUES
We are guided by our passion to transform the way we power our world. Achieving our goals requires creativity, diversity of ideas and backgrounds, and building trust to effect change and move with speed.
We are Leading
Fluence currently has thousands of MW of energy storage projects operated or awarded worldwide in addition to the thousands of MW of projects managed by our trading platform—and we are growing every day.
We are Responsible
Fluence is defined by its unwavering commitment to safety, quality, and integrity.
We are Agile
We achieve our goals and meet our customer’s needs by cultivating curiosity, adaptability, and self-reflection in our teams.
We are Fun
We value the diversity in thought and experience of our coworkers and customers. Through honest, forthcoming, and respectful communications we work to ensure that Fluence is an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
About this position
Location: Hybrid within Arlington VA, Alpharetta GA or San Francisco CA
Fluence currently has more than 2.4 gigawatts of projects in operation or awarded across 24countries and territories worldwide. We topped the Navigant Research utility-scale energy storage leaderboard in 2018 and were named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2019. In 2020, our sixth-generation Tech Stack won Commercial Technology of the Year at the22nd annual S&P Global Platts Global Energy Awards.
Fluence seeks a software and controls expert to be the primary owner of grid code and market applications requirements for the Americas Region. This person will serve as the primary point of contact on these matters with external stakeholders (e.g. CAISO, ERCOT), Fluence product development teams, and Fluence sales. In addition, this role owns delivery of relevant technical scope for assigned Fluence projects under the guidance of Senior Management.
As an OS Application Engineer, you'll have the opportunity to work with Fluence OS, a cutting-edge, scalable digital control system. Fluence OS is designed to optimize the performance of our battery storage products, giving customers the power to maximize efficiency, increase reliability, and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. As an application engineer working with Fluence OS, you'll be at the forefront of a new era in energy storage technology, helping to build a cleaner, more sustainable energy future for us all. In this role you will:
· Determine and monitor market requirements for key markets.
· Stay up to date with changes in regulations and standards related to grid connection in the relevant energy markets (e.g. CAISO, ERCOT, MISO, PJM, etc.) determine updates needed to ensure continued compliance.
· Collaborate with internal stakeholders, including operations and maintenance teams, to identify and address compliance issues.
· Liaise with Product to ensure development of compliant products:
· Provide internal specifications to the Product team to ensure that products meet market requirements.
· Work with the Product team to ensure that products are developed in compliance with industry standards and regulations.
· Support sales activities:
· Review customer requirements and draft contract language and test procedures as needed.
· Work with the sales team to ensure that contracts are compliant with product capabilities and industry standards.
· Support OS implementation on projects as time allows:
· Support OS implementation on projects by providing technical support and troubleshooting as needed.
· Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure that OS implementation is successful.
What does the ideal candidate bring to Fluence?
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a relevant subject (engineering, sciences, computer science, mathematics, statistics, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience reviewing and interpreting grid interconnection requirements, including knowledge of applicable regulations, standards, and codes.
- Knowledge of grid interconnection standards and best practices, including IEEE 1547, FERC Order 845, and NERC reliability standards.
- Familiarity with power system equipment, including inverters, transformers, switchgear, and protective relays.
- Track record of taking ownership over responsibilities and pursuing them diligently.
- Strong presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills (written, verbal, client service).
- Ability to understand and synthesize complex technical and product and information.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience conducting technical studies and analyses to evaluate the feasibility of grid interconnection options, such as power system modeling, fault analysis, and stability studies.
- Experience working with utility companies and regulatory authorities to obtain grid interconnection approvals and negotiate interconnection agreements.
- Quick ability to adapt as the needs of the business evolve.
- Ability to travel as needed (estimated 10%-20%)
- Knowledge of the design, operation and maintenance of high-voltage electrical equipment including but not limited to inverters, transformers, and controllers.
At Fluence we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace; if you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply!
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Pet Insurance
Generous 401K Match
Annual Bonus Incentive
Follow Fluence on LinkedIn: Fluence LinkedIn
Fluence Career Page: Fluence Careers
In Colorado and California, the standard pay range for this role is $117k - 130K annually. This range is specific to Colorado and California and may not be applicable in other locations.
Fluence IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.